Hooking up to security alarm system

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
425-527-9693
Hooking up to security alarm system

Post by 425-527-9693 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:20 pm

I have installed my Ooma sytem and works great with interior phones. I checked my security system and when the alarm is tripped the Ooma phone log shows that it is trying to call out to the security monitoring service call number, but they are not seeing my phone call. It obviously is not going thru the formal handshake protocol. My alarm system uses a Honeywell Ademco Vista 20P.

Any suggestions?

lbmofo

Re: Hooking up to security alarm system

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Given you are feeding your Ooma dialtone to your alarm properly (upstream to everything else), you can try different dialing prefixes such as *99, *98 (if you have a Telo). *70 (disable call waiting for some reason works for me better than other star codes). For your reference: viewtopic.php?t=13253#p92237
More for your reading pleasure: viewtopic.php?t=12131#p85009

425-527-9693

Post by 425-527-9693 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I do have the telo. Where do I program the prefix? On the ooma or is this something that I have to program with the alarm system? If i do on the Ooma do all phone calls use that prefix and if so, how does it affect regular phone calls?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Prefix is programmed on the alarm panel. You'll probably find the info on "how to" on the doityourself forum.

425-527-9693

Post by 425-527-9693 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I finally had someone from my security company come out to re-program the Honeywell Ademco Vista 20P. We tried the dialing prefixs *99, *98, *70 and none of them worked. I mentioned an alternative called "silent night". the technician had heard of the "silent night" setting and tried to call Honeywell tech line to see if this panel could be programmed in that mode. He got overseas tech support and after they said that Honeywell system does not work with VOIP they also advised they knew nothing about the "silent night" setting. Any suggestions?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

I'd recommend looking into the celluar option. More reliable given serious crooks cut cable and phone as their 1st "to do."

MSV_NC

Post by MSV_NC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Some alarm companies now also support internet connections - either via hardwire to your router, or WiFi. You should check on that in addition to the cellular option previously mentioned.

P0234

Ademco Vista 20P working

Post by P0234 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:24 am

Bumping and old thread here since a google search leads to here if you are trying to setup a Vista 20P with an Ooma. The Vista line seems pretty picky about using non landline phones. I had tried unsuccessfully to get my 20P going with a Tracfone/Verizon Wireless Home adapter. Using test call mode (user code+5+1), one out of maybe fifty calls would complete. I decided to grab an OOMA and see if it would do better.

My system was using a FIOS based landline to Alarmrelay. The panel was setup to use the 4-digit Ademco Contact ID Reporting standard (#48=07). On FIOS, each call went through the first time. With the default OOMA setup and dailing, about one in a dozen calls would go through. Adding the *99 option brought that down to 1 in 10, still completely unacceptable. Poking around in the preferences panel, I noticed the Mode:Alarm System Option. This seems to have improved the issue greatly. I haven't tested enough to give a reliable number, but it usually connects on the first or second try. Still not perfect, but more testing is required.

Next up I'm going to try working with AlarmRelay on reporting formats (*48) as I've heard that Contact ID is very intolerant of VOIP.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:40 am

You might find more flexibility and reliability by avoiding the phone system completely and controlling your Vista 20P with a direct Internet interface like the EnvisaLink 4. I have used the earlier version for years and love that it gives me control and logging functions from my iPads and my smartphone. It sends alerts via text and email that can include such things as loss of supervision (due to Internet problems and other things), low battery, and more. Ever wonder if you set your alarm after leaving the house? Just check in on your phone to feel secure - and if you blew it, you can set it remotely. They also offer very low cost monitoring services.

Amazon has it for $98.50
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

P0234

Post by P0234 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:27 am

That EnvisaLink looks like a good option for some folks. I feel I'm pretty well covered using my ADT2USB module connected to my Veralite HA box as far as notifications and automations go. The Ooma is bridging the gap for me until I figure out a good cell monitoring setup that doesn't come with the additional fees and headaches. My goal is to be able to throw in a pre-paid SIM and use that, still need to find something that works with that kind of setup.