Can someone please verify that I'm thinking this through?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
niknak
Re: Can someone please verify that I'm thinking this through?

Post by niknak » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:28 am

Found this info for Lawrence, MA

local exchanges to 978-686 -

978-242 978-292 978-329 978-557 978-659 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-676 978-681 978-682 978-683 978-685 978-686 978-687 978-688 978-689 978-691 978-725 978-738 978-794 978-837 978-946 978-960 978-974 978-975 978-989

List of served ratecenters: LAWRENCE,MA
List of carriers on switch: VERIZON NEW ENGLAND INC. (9102)

Kevin1844

Post by Kevin1844 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:04 am

Hmm... Well. I might be okay with that. Thanks for posting it. I think I'm going to start the process of porting. I guess I need to call in for that.
Also, I'm having trouble getting multi-ring or even forwarding to work. I set it up exactly as it says but it doesn't seem to forward or ring my landline. Is this an ooma line only thing?

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:13 am

To start the number port log into the Lounge and click on the "add-ons" tab. You will see the link to begin your number port process

You will nedd a copy of your current phone bill, and there will be another link to download an "LOA" from ooma.

Fill out LOA, follow directions and fax copies to the number on the form to start the process. (note the instructioins carefully - delays in porting occur if everything is not exactly as required)

Sorry, I don't use the multi-ring feature, not sure how to set it up for your configuration. You may need to reboot the ooma hub and possibly your router as well. I am sure someone else here will advise you!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 am

The call forward/multi-ring feature will not work for any calls coming into your landline that's integrated with ooma. They are working on adding that capability in the future.

If you're using the multi-ring and other premier features, you should know that they're part of a trial (60 day) subscription.

If you want to port, it's normally $39.99, but is included if you get a yearly subscription of premier ($99.99) which would then start at the end of your trial.

Kevin1844

Post by Kevin1844 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks Guys. I called support (answered without a wait, BIG ++) and switched my number to their virtual number. Then I forwarded my Line 1 to my virtual number so all my calls go through ooma until I determine that my DSL is capable of supporting it.

Support recommended I do not cancel my second line from Verizon so I have a hard line for my security system. I may forward that number to my second ooma number so I can keep everything within the ooma system. That's a little ways out, though.

Thanks!

Oh, and multi-ring works now that I'm not on the hard line.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08 am

Glad things are working out for you.

However, multi-ring still shouldn't work on calls forwarded from your Verizon landline number.

Also, although keeping a second line may be best for your alarm system, there are some here who got it working with ooma. Do a search of the forum for "alarm".

jxxbrown

Post by jxxbrown » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:20 pm

I have a very similar setup - here's what I'd like to know.

I have 2 lines - main calling line and fax/DSL line. I am planning on:

1. Keeping the main phone line (the line everyone knows) plugged into ooma
2. Dropping the second phone line, turning the second line into a dry loop DSL circuit.

If I do this, when I get a call to my main number, does it hit the ooma voicemail and advanced services? This would be coming into the line plugged into the ooma via POTS.

If I do this, when I call out local, CallerID will be my current main phone number, but when I call out long distance, some other number will be shown?

I guess the question is how ooma integrates with the existing local line. Am I better off doing the above, or better off porting my main number to ooma, leaving my second line in place for ooma integration. Do I lose any functionality keeping my main number on the POTS line?

Thanks.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:43 pm

jxxbrown wrote:I have a very similar setup - here's what I'd like to know.

I have 2 lines - main calling line and fax/DSL line. I am planning on:

1. Keeping the main phone line (the line everyone knows) plugged into ooma
2. Dropping the second phone line, turning the second line into a dry loop DSL circuit.

If I do this, when I get a call to my main number, does it hit the ooma voicemail and advanced services? This would be coming into the line plugged into the ooma via POTS.

If I do this, when I call out local, CallerID will be my current main phone number, but when I call out long distance, some other number will be shown?

I guess the question is how ooma integrates with the existing local line. Am I better off doing the above, or better off porting my main number to ooma, leaving my second line in place for ooma integration. Do I lose any functionality keeping my main number on the POTS line?

Thanks.
You have a few options for your main number:
1. Stay with your current landline provider and plug the landline into the wall port on the Ooma hub. Activate Ooma and select the option to keep your existing number which will integrate the landline into Ooma.
With this option, your local, toll free and 911 calls will go out through your landline. Long distance will go out through Ooma.

As far as I know, your caller id will show your landline number for both and the landline calls would go to Ooma voicemail.
Currently, certain feature like call forward/multi-ring and blacklisting will not work for calls coming into your landline thru Ooma. But that capability is coming.

The advantage is that you have true 911 instead of e911. You can still make calls if you lose power or internet and other devices like alarms, DVRs, etc. can use the landline.

2. Stay with your current landline provider and plug the landline into the wall port on the Ooma hub. Activate Ooma and select the option for a new number and then have separate phones for your landline and Ooma.

3. Port your number to Ooma and remove the landline to eliminate that monthly bill. You could then plug the line 2 (with DSL filtering) into the wall port of the Ooma hub and have that landline available for backup in case of power or internet failure. However, all calls will go out through Ooma including 911 calls unless you pulled the plug on the hub.

jxxbrown

Post by jxxbrown » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 pm

OK, so for the max cost savings, I:

1. plug ooma into my main number and port it over.
2. Install dry loop DSL on the second line
3. Use my cell for 911 if I don't like e911 or just as a backup.

Now what do I lose in this scenario? Do I lose the instant second line and/or other features? There has to be some incentive to keep a land line active so it can be used to terminate local calls for other ooma owners.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:14 pm

jxxbrown wrote:OK, so for the max cost savings, I:

1. plug ooma into my main number and port it over.
2. Install dry loop DSL on the second line
3. Use my cell for 911 if I don't like e911 or just as a backup.

Now what do I lose in this scenario? Do I lose the instant second line and/or other features? There has to be some incentive to keep a land line active so it can be used to terminate local calls for other ooma owners.
Actually, ooma has not done that for years. The idea was scrapped for a lot of reasons. ooma does not need your landline - in fact, the only calls that would ever go over a connected landline are calls that you yourself make. Other user's calls NEVER will use your line for termination. Many of us use the system without any connection to the wall port.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.