Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
atici
Re: Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Post by atici » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:59 pm

It was the former :)

I have a DECT phone by Panasonic next to my ooma. I sold my scout -- multiple handsets cover what I need. The only thing scout offers over my setup is being able to use a 2nd line by another person. I don't need that anyway. The new ooma telo is pretty much the same as this setup but with scout feature integrated into handsets.

r2g

Post by r2g » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 am

I have the multiple cordless handsets, but that doesn't solve my problem of wanting to have a functioning ooma scout. You see, my home has two floors. The ooma hub is upstairs, next to my broadband modem. That's where our computer and TV are. We also spend a lot of time downstairs. It would be nifty to have the hub working to see when someone has left voicemails, turn on the do not disturb function, use the second line feature, etc. Also, I need to keep the hub near the computer table, etc, since I have a fax machine sitting there that plugs into the hub.

OK. So I purchased a wireless phone jack from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MR ... T6_product)
just to see if this would work to make the scout functional. I was doubtful based on other posts, but thought I'd give it a try. For others considering this for reasons similar to mine, let me save you the time, IT DID NOT WORK. I'm just going to run a regular old telephone cord by the walls. I was hoping for a wireless solution in this wireless world to address my specific needs, but couldn't find one.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 am

christyb wrote:
Thanks for the links.

These look to me like they have Ethernet outlets not phone outlets.

From my limited knowledge, the phone "plug" is completely different than an Ethernet "plug".

How would these work to extend the phone line?
You wouldn't. You would use it to plug the ooma hub in somewhere close to a phone jack so you can wire it into the house wiring :D

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:44 am

r2g wrote:I'm just going to run a regular old telephone cord by the walls. I was hoping for a wireless solution in this wireless world to address my specific needs, but couldn't find one.
That's probably the best option and if you're going to spend the time and money for wiring, you may want to consider using Cat 5e or Cat 6.

More info:
http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... ith-cat-5e
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... -out-there
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r ... for-wiring

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 am

So the question still remains, what is the solution when the cable modem and the phone jack are no near each other?!

atici

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:41 am

Why does the question remain? Just get a DECT phone and place your ooma next to your cable modem and distribute the handsets where you need them. I think r2g's house / walls / phone type is the issue. I have this setup and it works very well. Granted, it wouldn't work multiple floors away but to give you an idea of coverage, I have the handset work in an adjacent (but different) apartment building about 150 yards away where my aunt lives.

r2g: Did you try DECT phones? The wireless jack you point out is not using DECT technology. DECT phones operate at 1.9Ghz which can permeate through walls quite well. They are also digital which extends its range even more.
Last edited by atici on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 am

atici wrote:Why does the question remain? Just get a DECT phone and place your ooma next to your cable modem and distribute the handsets where you need them.
...or run a telephone cable between the two

those are your options!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 am

christyb wrote:So the question still remains, what is the solution when the cable modem and the phone jack are no near each other?!
1. cordless phone
2. Homelink connection through the home's electrical wiring
3. wire a new phone jack to room with cable modem
4. run phone wire along base boards from one room to another

You could call the phone company to come have a new jack installed.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 am

atici wrote:Why does the question remain? Just get a DECT phone and place your ooma next to your cable modem and distribute the handsets where you need them. I think r2g's house / walls / phone type is the issue. I have this setup and it works very well. Granted, it wouldn't work multiple floors away but to give you an idea of coverage, I have the handset work in an adjacent (but different) apartment building about 150 yards away where my aunt lives.

r2g: Did you try DECT phones? The wireless jack you point out is not using DECT technology. DECT phones operate at 1.9Ghz which can permeate through walls quite well. They are also digital which extends its range even more.
At least one of the DECT phones needs to be plugged into the phone jack correct?

That phone then needs to be plugged in to the Ooma, correct?

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am

The other source of confusion is that Ooma's online info refers to this problem and states that a "HomePlug" will solve it.

However, nothing in Ooma's online info states what a HomePlug is and it seems that there are conflicting views as to what this is (some have said it is a wireless jack while others state that a wireless jack won't work...).