Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
atici
Re: Cable Modem and Phone Jack Nowhere near each other

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 pm

christyb wrote: If I want to have my landline integrated with Ooma (which I do), I need to call support to change my configuration to not use my landline?

Are you saying that I can't have the landline integrated or are you saying something else?
If you want your landline integrated you need to have a router/internet next to your phonejack. To do that you may need to call someone to build wiring etc. to bring a phonejack to the room ooma will be in.

If you don't need your landline integrated then things are simple. Then ooma has nothing to do with landline. You just need internet to run. If you already registered your ooma to work with landline then you'd need to call ooma support to make this change happen, pick yourself a new number and voila.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:14 pm

I want to keep my landline to have a reliable way to dial 9-1-1.

The main cable box for where I live is on a corner of a major thoroughfare which is involved in several accidents a year resulting in cable outages.

My cell phone works about 7% of the time in my house so that isn't an option either!

I guess my other choice is to port my number to the Ooma (set up as described above) and get another landline with a new phone number to have as a way to call 9-1-1.

On another note, I just got my Google Voice invite yesterday so my head is swimming with telephone possibilities and necessities!!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 pm

christyb wrote:I want to keep my landline to have a reliable way to dial 9-1-1.

I guess my other choice is to port my number to the Ooma (set up as described above) and get another landline with a new phone number to have as a way to call 9-1-1.
That's definitely an option.
christyb wrote: Thanks for all the help everyone.
You're welcome and I hope you're able to get it worked out for you.

atici

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Yes, for 911 you can have a simple phone connected to a separate landline rather than integrate that with ooma.

I love my google voice too :) Best of luck.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 pm

I did want to add that I initially did set it up with a wireless jack and it worked - well it kind of worked!

I got the Ooma dial tone and could make calls as long as they were outside of my area of my local area code and not toll free numbers either.

I was also unable to receive calls. People called but my phone didn't ring, they didn't show up on the call log and they went to voicemail (landline - I had set up the landline's voicemail to kick in before Ooma's).

So the wireless jack solution isn't all bad - just gotta figure out why it didn't work completely. Well, I'm not going to figure it out but it is interesting!

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:25 pm

christyb wrote:I want to keep my landline to have a reliable way to dial 9-1-1.

The main cable box for where I live is on a corner of a major thoroughfare which is involved in several accidents a year resulting in cable outages.

My cell phone works about 7% of the time in my house so that isn't an option either!

On another note, I just got my Google Voice invite yesterday so my head is swimming with telephone possibilities and necessities!!

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Christy, I wonder if you might be happy with what I've done (and atici also suggested). I kept my landline but did not have it integrated with ooma. I have a DECT 6.0 Uniden base plugged into my hub. I have not needed the scout yet. With the Uniden system I can have up to 6 handsets scattered anywhere around the house. Yet I also have a corded phone plugged into the landline jack for the rare times I need one: 911 during power failure, Internet down, etc. Since it is just for backup, I don't need it to connect to the hub.

I also am using Google Voice and like that I can give out one number and have my cell and my home system ring. I can't wait for the upcoming GV extensions for ooma. I think it will be part of Premier and will probably cause me to finally spring for it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

christyb

Post by christyb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm

christyb wrote:I guess my other choice is to port my number to the Ooma (set up as described above) and get another landline with a new phone number to have as a way to call 9-1-1.
southsound wrote:Christy, I wonder if you might be happy with what I've done (and atici also suggested). I kept my landline but did not have it integrated with ooma. I have a DECT 6.0 Uniden base plugged into my hub. I have not needed the scout yet. With the Uniden system I can have up to 6 handsets scattered anywhere around the house. Yet I also have a corded phone plugged into the landline jack for the rare times I need one: 911 during power failure, Internet down, etc. Since it is just for backup, I don't need it to connect to the hub.
I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same solution except I will have my current landline number ported to Ooma - I've had it for 13+ years and tracking down everyone that has it would be a nightmare. So, I will just get a new number for the landline which will stand alone for emergencies only.

My cordless phones have one base station and the rest just need electricity for the charging stations to work so I think I'm okay on the phone equipment front!

atici

Post by atici » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Better yet, have your current number ported to Google Voice ;)

tweaks

Post by tweaks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

I have my Airport Extreme in one room and my ooma in another room in the house. I have used the Airport Express to move the Ooma wherever I want in the house. It works very well with no issues at all.

My Airport Express is used to extend the signal of my wireless throughout my house.

It is kind of like a portable jack.

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 pm

tweaks wrote:I have my Airport Extreme in one room and my ooma in another room in the house. I have used the Airport Express to move the Ooma wherever I want in the house. It works very well with no issues at all.

My Airport Express is used to extend the signal of my wireless throughout my house.

It is kind of like a portable jack.
Thats the cleanest portable solution I have read!

Hows the call quality over the wireless connection?
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G