Set a Static IP for Yealink T21PE2 phone

Get help installing your Ooma business phone system.
chuckoh
Set a Static IP for Yealink T21PE2 phone

Post by chuckoh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm

I need to be able to set a static IP address on a couple of Yealink T21PE2 phones at a client location. It appears to be easy to do from a web browser but apparently OOMA has changed the default username/password combo (admin/admin) so I'm unable to access the appropriate screens.

Can you please let me know what the new admin username and password are so that I can make the appropriate changes?

Thanks.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Set a Static IP for Yealink T21PE2 phone

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 am

please call support

chuckoh

Post by chuckoh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 am

I have to call support just to be able to set a static IP address? Why is this? Every other device on my local network and my clients networks allows me to set a static IP address without the need to "call support".

I "called support" three different times this morning and each time was connected to a support representative who could not speak or understand even the most basic english.

What in the heck is going on here?

I tried a web chat and they just told me to "call support"

Unsatisfactory.

chuckoh

Post by chuckoh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 am

I just "called support" again and this time was connected to an english speaking person.

However, he could not understand what I was requesting and told me that he was resetting the password for my Yealink IP phones and instead reset the password for my OOMA account.

EPIC FAIL!

Get it together OOMA.

chuckoh

Post by chuckoh » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am

Note to OOMA - this could all have been avoided if you would have just left the admin login information in it's default state as per the users manual for the Yealink IP phone.

I just talked to an escalation tech. He was very unhelpful. Gave me a bunch of BS about removing the phone from your provisioning network before a static IP address could be set.

After the first screwup with the password, I'm not going to let him anywhere near my phone provisioning.

We're not talking about something terribly difficult here. Setting a static IP address is a simple process. Someone in your organization made a very bad decision without thinking the process through.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Based on user feedback we may revisit this decision but currently the belief is that allowing full access to the UI would generate more support calls than the few phones that require static IP.

Instead of setting static IP on the phone can you configure your router to reserve an IP for a specific MAC address?

chuckoh

Post by chuckoh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Tom,

I appreciate your reply.

I need this for a couple of reasons. I need to troubleshoot intermittent connectivity issues at a client, specifically I want to be able to set a different DNS server than what the default is via DHCP.

At another client they have a separate VLAN for VOIP traffic that is 100% static (no DHCP available). If I can't set a static IP, my phone won't work.

I can understand your concern regarding support calls, but I don't believe the problem will be nearly as bad as you think it might be. On option to consider would be changing the password to a customer specific value and only give it out on a case by case basis.

Right now it's unworkable. We need to be able to manually set IP addresses.

Thanks for listening.

natanl

Post by natanl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 am

i see a big problem with that
i tryed to call customer support and spent over 2 hours with everyone there and no one know how to set up a static IP and no one cant give you the password for the browser interface
i dont understand why i pay full price for the phone and legaly its mine but i cant get a password to reset or reconfigure it for my needs
and if i have phones fron another company they cant do nothing to connect it
i have more then 10 phones from vonage and i was sure i will be able to connect them to my new ooma acoount and save money on buying new equipment
now they make me buy more phones
please advise

ceccal

Post by ceccal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 am

I have to exact same problem !!! I have spent hours on line with tec support all to get no where

ceccal

Post by ceccal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:30 am

were you ever able to get your phones to work ?? Is this worth the hassle or is it better to drop ooma and move on ???