Phone calls resetting Comcast modem

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
JAStillwell
Phone calls resetting Comcast modem

Post by JAStillwell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:28 am

Hello,

We have our Ooma system connected to a Comcast cable modem. We have their Business broadband with a static IP. On a regular basis, we are dropping calls. At the same time, the Comcast modem is dropping its connection. The modem doesn't look like it's doing a full reset, but the built-in admin webpage on the Comcast modem shows that the system has reset. We have had Comcast out on 4 occasions to replace all the cabling and replace the modem.

The modem was active for almost 48 hours straight when I tried to make a call about 30 minutes ago. The call connected, but then dropped after about a minute. Checking the Comcast modem log showed the modem reset again.

I tried connecting the Ooma base to the inside of our network, but without knowing how to adjust QoS, you can't hear me on the other end of a phone call.

I just moved it back to being connected to the Comcast modem, but I expect it's going to reset during another important call.

Also, not every call is dropping, but enough to be really annoying. I don't think it's the Ooma hardware, but maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!

Aveamantium

Re: Phone calls resetting Comcast modem

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 am

JAStillwell wrote:Hello,

We have our Ooma system connected to a Comcast cable modem. We have their Business broadband with a static IP. On a regular basis, we are dropping calls. At the same time, the Comcast modem is dropping its connection. The modem doesn't look like it's doing a full reset, but the built-in admin webpage on the Comcast modem shows that the system has reset. We have had Comcast out on 4 occasions to replace all the cabling and replace the modem.

The modem was active for almost 48 hours straight when I tried to make a call about 30 minutes ago. The call connected, but then dropped after about a minute. Checking the Comcast modem log showed the modem reset again.

I tried connecting the Ooma base to the inside of our network, but without knowing how to adjust QoS, you can't hear me on the other end of a phone call.

I just moved it back to being connected to the Comcast modem, but I expect it's going to reset during another important call.

Also, not every call is dropping, but enough to be really annoying. I don't think it's the Ooma hardware, but maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!
When you said you connected your ooma "inside of our network" do you mean that you put it behind your router? If so, it sounds like you're getting one-way audio, which has to do with NAT and not Qos (unless it is choppy). In this configuration, you'll want to put the IP address assigned to the ooma by the router in the router's DMZ.

As for the disconnects, does this only happen during phone calls?
Last edited by Aveamantium on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go AVS!

atici

Post by atici » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:35 am

Maybe the modem hardware has a problem? I don't think it's a wiring issue. It sounds to me it's more likely to be a configuration issue on the Comcast side. Does it reset without ooma present?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 am

Longshot:
Are you running a wireless router (or wireless comcast modem) and using cordless phones? Older cordless phones and sometimes the newer phones can cause the network to shutdown when making a call.

Wayne

dlong

Post by dlong » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Also another possible longshot:

Is your area currently upgrading the system to Docsis 2.0? All Comcast areas are currently upgrading or have already upgraded. While upgrading, random maintenance resets are continually sent until the upgrade is finished.

oomaforums

Post by oomaforums » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi

We just activated our phone and we are having the exact same problem as you have described.

When we make a call with Ooma, it reset the Comcast connection and one minute after the call, the person on the other end is unable to hear us.

This is not a problem with Comcast or its modem. Turning the wireless on or off does not make any difference. Turning the answering machine on or off the phone does not make any difference.

We have placed a complaint with Ooma Support, however have yet to hear anything meaningful from them.

If you were able to identify the problem, we would appreciate if you can share the steps of resolution.

Thanks in advance.

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Is Time Warner your ISP? I heard some complain that Time Warner is not playing nice with ooma. If this is the case, I'd try to set the ooma MODEM port MAC address to 'custome' mode, otherwise, set it to use 'build in' MAC address.

You can do it in Network Settings page. For the custom MAC, just make up one. You can look up your pc's MAC address and change only the last digit--type the command 'ipconfig /all' into a Windows command box, the pc MAC is labeled 'Physical Address' ( valid value are 0123456789ABCDEF)

Hope this helps
Attachments
ipconfig.jpg
ipconfig.jpg (56.07KiB)Viewed 11901 times
tommies

oomaforums

Post by oomaforums » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Hello tommies,

Thanks for your quick response. However we dont have Time Warner, we have Comcast.

I dont mind trying this out, but i was not able to follow how to set the Custom or Build mode.

If you would be kind enough to send little more details on how to make those changes, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 am

Connect a computer to the Home port of the ooma hub.
Using a web browser connect to

http://setup.ooma.com

or

http://172.27.35.1

Click on Network in the left pane
Click the radio button beside "Use Built in:"
Click the "Update" button

Turn off your cable modem and the ooma hub.
Turn on the cable modem and wait until it is online.
Turn on the ooma hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomaforums

Post by oomaforums » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:25 am

Hello @murphy,

Thank you for the details.

I tried per the steps you suggested, but it did not work. We continue to face the exact same problems as before.

As soon as a call gets connected, the Comcast modem resets and one minute in to the call, the person on the other side is unable to hear us.

I can consistently reproduce this problem.

Here is our setup:
1) Comcast modem > Wired Router > Ooma > Phone instrument
2) On the Ooma Setup (ooma.setup.com), in the Home section the Phone Line attribute shows Disconnected. Although i am able to place a call. Just thought to mention this.

If anyone has any other suggestions, i can try them out.

Still no response from Ooma support.

Thanks & Regards