New to Ooma, disappointed with call quality...

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
domm
Re: New to Ooma, disappointed with call quality...

Post by domm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am

I have my new Ooma Telo plugged into my Comcast modem/router using the cable Ooma supplied. I then unplugged my wireless phone, base unit from my wall & plugged it into the Ooma Telo. Should I set my Ooma Qos in the Omma telo software & if yes, what should I set it at?

Also, how can I find out if my Ooma is on the EC server? I am in Florida & assume I should be on the EC server. thanks

PS: I am porting my number from AT&T & wonder how long that prosess takes? thanks

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am

You would need to have your Telo hooked up between your modem and router for the Telo QoS setting to have an effect. If you don't have a separate router, that will not help.

You would probably need to request a move to the EC server if that is what you want.

My AT&T number port only took three business days.
Last edited by oomamaniacal on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

domm

Post by domm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks for that oomamaniacal. My Comcast modem/router is all in one unit (no separate router) so if I understand your answer correctly, setting my Qos in the Ooma Telo will not have any effect? Would there be a setting in my Comcast modem/router that I should set?

I really just want to be on the best (for me in Florida) server possible for me. I was just assuming (I could be wrong) the EC server would be best for someone in Florida? Is there a way to self test (ping test or something else) which server would be best? Does Ooma automatically (you would think they would) put new accounts on the server that would give the customer the best service?

Three days would be great by me for porting.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:46 am

The default setting for your Telo QoS is 512 kbps up and 0 down. Setting it to zero means that QoS is turned off. Per Tom B, "What the 512 does is reserve bandwidth for voice calls if other devices behind the telo have internet activity." Try setting Qos with your router if you can. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20676&p=138202&hili ... ng#p138202

You can ask Tom to confirm which server your Telo is using. Currently there is no way of checking yourself.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

domm

Post by domm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 am

Hi Tom B

Am I on the EC server & if not should I be? thanks

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 pm

QoS applies when using the telo home port, no matter what the internet port is hooked up to (modem, router, switch, etc). Moved your telo to the EC server. We're doing some tuning on the EC server so not moving accounts automatically yet.

domm

Post by domm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks Tom B for moving me over to EC server.
Since I will not be using the home port in my set-up, I will no longer worry about the QoS settings.