Turning off ooma VM feature?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
shikarishambu
Turning off ooma VM feature?

Post by shikarishambu » Sun May 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi,
I am using ooma with a multi-handset (3 handset) cordless system. Is there a way to turn off ooma's VM feature and let the cordless phone handle VM?
ooma user since May 2008
still on the original white hub

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Turning off ooma VM feature?

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 am

Hi shikarishambu, there isn't a way to permanently disable ooma's VM, BUT you can still have your cordless phone system's answering machine pick up the call before ooma's broadband answering machine picks up. To configure ooma's broadband answering machine pickup time, login to the ooma Lounge and navigate to Preferences->Voicemail. Set the "Number of seconds before voicemail picks up" setting to 59 seconds.
shikarishambu wrote:Hi,
I am using ooma with a multi-handset (3 handset) cordless system. Is there a way to turn off ooma's VM feature and let the cordless phone handle VM?
Bobby B

guyg

Post by guyg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I'd like to see an option to turn off oomas voicemail (even though its a great innovative feature). There are times when I'm on the phone and call waiting beeps thru. If I'm involved in a critical part of the conversation, I may decide not to take the interruption and would prefer that oomas voicemail does not take the call. My wife prefers using the answering machine on our multi handset cordless phone (can you believe it ?).

lacakid

Post by lacakid » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:54 pm

as much as it sucks I called tech support and they said it cannot be done, you would think it would be a priority for them but I guess not like most startups, oh wait most startups do listen to customer features requests at the begining, LOL

Oh Well Ooma... start listening!
Customer Since: 2/1/10
Service/Hardware: One Ooma Hub and Ooma Telio
Number of Lines: Two, Basic Service on both.
Internet: AT&T Uverse, 24 Meg down, 2 Meg up
Setup: AT&T Router -> Generic Switch -> Telio & Hub
Phone: RCA - 4 Line with Speakerphone

skellener

Post by skellener » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 pm

lacakid wrote:as much as it sucks I called tech support and they said it cannot be done, you would think it would be a priority for them but I guess not like most startups, oh wait most startups do listen to customer features requests at the begining, LOL

I've found the complete opposite. I've found that Ooma has listened quite well to customer feature requests and I've seen a lot of features added since I signed up in August.

kagy

Post by kagy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

lacakid wrote:as much as it sucks I called tech support and they said it cannot be done, you would think it would be a priority for them but I guess not like most startups, oh wait most startups do listen to customer features requests at the begining, LOL

Once the backlog of customer support problems were sorted out, and Ooma is able to get to our calls within 5 minutes (lately), I've found them to be very attentive.
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

ConfuciusTse

Post by ConfuciusTse » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am

I actually prefer my multi-handset's VM over Ooma's. My cable modem is placed out of the way hence the Ooma is not optimally located for easy VM playback. So it's a lot easier to pick up any of the numerous handsets strategically placed around the house to check VM.

I know the Ooma's VM has some great "away" features but for day to day use at home, regular ol' VM is just more convenient.

So I just just set Ooma to answer at the maximum time (59 seconds?) and my regular VM picks up in 4 rings which is plenty of margin.

cornellian

Post by cornellian » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 am

For me, they were able to completely turn off the voicemail! What they did at first was disable it on the hub, so that the settings page just said "select time" (no time at all), kind of like when it first comes out of the box not set up. However, then if I was on a call, someone else could still leave a voicemail on the second line (I had disabled call waiting). They were finally able to fix this an hour ago so that it says the caller is unable to leave a voicemail for the person and my lounge page says that voicemail is temporarily unavailable. So it can be done, and they did a great job doing it for me! I'm sure if you call in they'll help you out, though it may take a while for the technicians to get to you.