Im new to this, and can't make any calls need help

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
nolaguy
Im new to this, and can't make any calls need help

Post by nolaguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 am

I set up my ooma a few min ago. blue lights on. i hear the ooma tone and such. i try making a call and nothing happens.

also the 1 and 2 numbers on omma switch back and forth.

but2002

Re: Im new to this, and can't make any calls need help

Post by but2002 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:54 am

Could you describe a little bit more in detail what your configuration is? Also, i've never heard of the 1 and 2 numbers flashing back and forth. This could be evidence of the flash button on your phone stuck and it's alternating back and forth between the two lines.

nolaguy

Post by nolaguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 am

but2002 wrote:Could you describe a little bit more in detail what your configuration is? Also, i've never heard of the 1 and 2 numbers flashing back and forth. This could be evidence of the flash button on your phone stuck and it's alternating back and forth between the two lines.

well you were correct about the flash, i used an older phone for testing i switched phones now i can make calls. i did call my house though and noticed a slight delay in the conversation as well as slight quality loss. any ideas on how to correct that my net connection is 1.5 down 256k up so im more than fast enough for ooma.

scoutconnor

Post by scoutconnor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:40 am

nolaguy wrote:
but2002 wrote:Could you describe a little bit more in detail what your configuration is? Also, i've never heard of the 1 and 2 numbers flashing back and forth. This could be evidence of the flash button on your phone stuck and it's alternating back and forth between the two lines.

well you were correct about the flash, i used an older phone for testing i switched phones now i can make calls. i did call my house though and noticed a slight delay in the conversation as well as slight quality loss. any ideas on how to correct that my net connection is 1.5 down 256k up so im more than fast enough for ooma.
Try visiting setup.ooma.com to adjust your QoS settings to ensure everything sounds the best it can.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 am

...my net connection is 1.5 down 256k up so im more than fast enough for ooma...
Speed is only part of the equation when working with VOIP
Do a test here:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and post the advanced results then someone here will help analyze

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am

In fact, speed is completely irrelevant since you can just barely fit a single line of Ooma over dial up!

nolaguy

Post by nolaguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm

niknak wrote:
...my net connection is 1.5 down 256k up so im more than fast enough for ooma...
Do a test here:

2.5 ms 0% packet loss and speed 1.65 mb upload 284

ooma setup said my upstream was 384kb reserved bandwidth was 130

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 pm

nolaguy wrote:
niknak wrote:
Do a test here:

2.5 ms 0% packet loss and speed 1.65 mb upload 284

ooma setup said my upstream was 384kb reserved bandwidth was 130
ooma setup can't detect your upload/download speed so if you have the ooma between the modem and the router and want to use the ooma's Qos then you need to run a speed test to find out your actual speeds. Then once you have these numbers enter them into the upload and download bandwidth fields in the ooma setup (based on your above post, it should be something like 1500 kbps down and 250 kbps up). The 130 kbps is what the ooma will reserve for the phone call and allow the rest to be used for the LAN. Keep in mind, ooma will only apply Qos when a call is taking place and will not impact your connection when a call is not initiated.

If you put the ooma behind your router, don't worry about the Qos in setup.ooma.com as it won't do anything.
Go AVS!

nolaguy

Post by nolaguy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:18 am

whats a good upstream to allow for my ooma? calls arent made much home, but when one is id rather give more bandwidth to the phone for a short time.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 am

The default reserved bandwidth of 130kbps is more than enough for your calls (typical call takes 40 kbps in both the upstream and downstream direction). Just make sure to enter in the real upstream speed in ooma's setup page (upstream bandwidth field in the advanced page) so the ooma hub knows what your actual ISP speeds are (I believe the default is 384 kbps so if you reserve 130kbps then the ooma will still think it has 254 kbps for the LAN, which in your case, it does not).
Go AVS!