Can I Use Ooma Number and Receive Landline Calls on Ooma?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
chidawn
Can I Use Ooma Number and Receive Landline Calls on Ooma?

Post by chidawn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Is it possible for my landline number and my new Ooma number to ring my Ooma devices??

I orginally set up my device to work with my landline; however, I don't want to pay excessive ATT charges for caller ID so it is now configured with an Ooma number (and a landline is plugged into the hub). I then read this advice in a different post:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... chwing#p30

"If you want to use your landline with the ooma system for backup purposes but avoid the landline provider caller ID costs, you can use the new personal numbers feature. Using this feature, you configure your ooma system as a landline unit (enabling the ability to send/receive calls on your landline) and use your existing ooma telephone number (as your main number for caller ID)."

Can the configuration described above allow both the landline and Ooma number to ring the Ooma devices?

Thanks!!

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Can I Use Ooma Number and Receive Landline Calls on Ooma?

Post by Bobby B » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:11 am

Hi chidawn,

Yes, you can set up ooma that way -- just make sure your main landline number is setup as your main account number (e.g. the first phone number assigned to "shared devices" that appears on Preferences->Phone Number)

To add your second phone number, just click on "add a phone number" under "shared devices" The "personal numbers" video on the tutorials page has an example.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

chidawn

Post by chidawn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks very much, Bobby.

Does that setup require Ooma Premiere?

When I called tech support yesterday, I was told this was not possible to have both numbers ring all of the devices. Perhaps I am explaining it incorrectly.

If I call tech support again and have them reset my device with the main account number as my landline will I be able to keep the new Ooma number to utilize it in this way?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 am

chidawn wrote:Thanks very much, Bobby.
Does that setup require Ooma Premiere?

When I called tech support yesterday, I was told this was not possible to have both numbers ring all of the devices. Perhaps I am explaining it incorrectly.
There may have been some miscommunication -- this setup is definitely possible. My sister's house actually has it setup this way. Yes, in order to have two numbers assigned to you ooma system, you will need ooma Premier.
chidawn wrote: If I call tech support again and have them reset my device with the main account number as my landline will I be able to keep the new Ooma number to utilize it in this way?
Yep, they can make the swap to make your landline number be your main account number and have your current ooma phone number be your second phone number.
Bobby B

chidawn

Post by chidawn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:21 am

Thank you very much.

Happy Holidays!