Need guidance on the Ooma Scoutinstillation

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
SapnaVishnu
Need guidance on the Ooma Scoutinstillation

Post by SapnaVishnu » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Hello,

I have recently purchased Ooma phone systems. The Hub got connected with out any issues. i am able to receive and call out with crystal clear clarity.

However, i am bit confused on the ooma scout instillation. here my setup:

1. I have high speed cable internet connection.
2. The hub is connected to the Cable modem and in turn the wireless router is connected to the hub.

I would like to have additional phone in my bedroom, from the concept of the Scout, I should use the Ooma Scout for extending the the phone line to another room? Is my understanding correct.

Can anyone of you help me to understand how I will use Ooma Scout to another phone in the bedroom?

Thanks
Vishnu

scottlindner

Re: Need guidance on the Ooma Scoutinstillation

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 am

You are correct.

The Hub and Scout communicate with each other over your home's telephone wires. Connect the Hub's Wall port to your home's phone wires. Hopefully there is a phone jack near where the hub is currently located. Then plug the Scout Wall port into the phone line in your bedroom, and your phone in your bedroom into the Scout's phone port, and you're done.

What is great about this solution is you can check your voicemails in your bedroom, and if you opt for Premier service you get a second phone line when using the Scout.

Scott

KevinDoman

Post by KevinDoman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Hello all -
I finally got around to install my scout today and it did not work ... at least I think it didn't work.

Before connecting the scout:
I signed up for premier service, got myself a new phone number. I can use either numbers. I did all the test I can think of to make sure both my Qwest landline and my new ooma assigned numbers worked.

Then I plugged in my scout on one of my home telephone jack. First, it lighted up the top two buttons on the first row, then the next two buttons below, then all the four buttons on the bottom row lighted red and continued to light up. No blue light on the tab!

Any guess on what's going on here?

Thanks

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

KevinDoman wrote:Hello all -
I finally got around to install my scout today and it did not work ... at least I think it didn't work.

Before connecting the scout:
I signed up for premier service, got myself a new phone number. I can use either numbers. I did all the test I can think of to make sure both my Qwest landline and my new ooma assigned numbers worked.

Then I plugged in my scout on one of my home telephone jack. First, it lighted up the top two buttons on the first row, then the next two buttons below, then all the four buttons on the bottom row lighted red and continued to light up. No blue light on the tab!

Any guess on what's going on here?

Thanks
Have you tried to plug the scout's wall port into the hub's wall port just to make sure it works? If this works then it is likely something with your wiring (interference from another source?). You may have to use the included splitter for the hub's wall port if you're using the integrated land line feature since the hub won't connect if it can't detect the land line (assuming you set it up with ooma this way?).

By the way you don't need Premier in order for the Scout to work. By having the Premier service and Scout setup, you gain the ability to use the instant second line.
Go AVS!

KevinDoman

Post by KevinDoman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:36 pm

The hub's tab turned red as soon as I unplugged the wall port. I plugged the wall ports on the scout and the hub together, but how do I determine if something is working? The scout still behave the same way: Button 1, 2 lighted up, then the next two button below lighted, then the bottom four buttons. During this time, the tab on both the hub and the scout remained red.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Use a splitter. Connect the hub's wall port to the wall and to the wall port of the scout. There should have been a splitter in the box.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:53 pm

KevinDoman wrote:The hub's tab turned red as soon as I unplugged the wall port. I plugged the wall ports on the scout and the hub together, but how do I determine if something is working? The scout still behave the same way: Button 1, 2 lighted up, then the next two button below lighted, then the bottom four buttons. During this time, the tab on both the hub and the scout remained red.
Sounds like you have an integrated landline. When you disconnect the wall port from the hub and the tab turns red, does the play and fast forward (>, >>|) buttons turn red also?

Take a look at the troubleshooting guide: http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/articl ... 34&p=12040

Once you have the hub up and running with a blue tab, you should be able to connect the hub and scout together while they're right next to each other using the supplied short white phone cord connected to the wall ports on both. If you need a landline connected to the hub, you'll need to use a splitter to have both the landline and the scout connected to the wall port on the hub.

KevinDoman

Post by KevinDoman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 am

And so, I used a splitter and connect the wall port on my hub and my scout to the splitter, then connected the other end of the splitter to my house phone jack and the result was the same: the bottom row of button is red

Here's the instruction from Ooma when those four button is red:
"
Make sure the ooma Hub is powered on and that the ooma Tab is blue. Check that the ooma Scout WALL port is plugged into the wall jack. If you have multiple phone lines, verify that the ooma Hub and ooma Scout are connected to the same line.
"

I only have one landline in my house. With the additional number I just got from Ooma, that's two.

Question: Do I have to register my scout at the lounge for it to work? From the Lounge's preference tab, there's the option to Assign a device. Maybe I didn't do that?

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 am

KevinDoman wrote:Question: Do I have to register my scout at the lounge for it to work? From the Lounge's preference tab, there's the option to Assign a device. Maybe I didn't do that?
No, you do not. I have never done anything in the Lounge with my Scout.

I didn't get a specific detail from your post that others suggested.

Connect the splitter to the Hub on the Wall port. Connect your home's phone line to the splitter. Do you get a Blue on your Hub? If so, they connect the Scout's wall port to the splitter on the hub's wall port. If you did this (sorry for repeating it if that is what you did) and you are getting a Red on the Scout, I suspect you have something else on your home's phone line that is conflicting with the HPNA between the Scout and Hub.

Do you have DSL?

Scott

KevinDoman

Post by KevinDoman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 am

I'd like to agree with your last sentence that I have some kind of conflict in my phone line... here's what I did:

- Unplugged my hub's wall from the house phone jack: tab turned red
- Put the splitter into the house jack
- Connected the hub's wall jack to the splitter, the hub's tab turned blue. Great!
- Connected my scout's wall port to the other port on the splitter, not good.

And yes, I have Qwest DSL.