Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
WayneDsr
Re: Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 am

Right as Murphy says calling out DTMF works just great for me as well.

DTMF does not work for incoming calls, since I have no need for a menu system on my home phone I never noticed until someone brought it up here.

Wayne

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Fri May 29, 2009 5:49 am

Also for me. I've never had any problems when calling someone with a menu system. Just about everyone you call outside of a residence has one these days, including Ooma customer service.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

o6richter

Post by o6richter » Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Can someone who has a plain old telephone line and an ooma line nearby try this:

1 - make sure the phone on ooma makes LONG dtmf (older phones tend to do this like the classic 2500 desk phone) - test to make sure it produces DTMF for as long as you hold the key down (3-4 seconds is enough)

2 - call a nearby landline from your ooma phone and answer yourself calling then listen.

3 - now press any key on the ooma phone (the one you tested to make sure it generates long tones) - do you hear long tones on the landline or short "chirps" of dtmf but not long digits (you can verify the long tone is being sent from ooma by listening to the earpiece of the ooma phone and you should hear the tone still going)

I get chirps on the called line which is a problem when I need to activate DTMF operated devices (gates, alarms, etc) that are connected to a POTS line. I've had to resort to calling these devices from my cell which is set for long tones.

I'm just curious if everyone is being clipped down to the first chirp of the dtmf or is passing long dtmf tones.

Thanks - Robert

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 29, 2009 4:24 pm

I hear the tone on my Verizon line as long as I hold the button down on the ooma desk phone.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Same here. I can play long or short notes and hear all quite loud.

Wayne

o6richter

Post by o6richter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:05 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Same here. I can play long or short notes and hear all quite loud.

Wayne
Wayne - thanks for your help - it may be the volume of DTMF my older phone is putting out is higher than ooma's maximum signal.

Robert

bajajmk

Post by bajajmk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I have run into the same problem with OOMA and Talkswitch. In all likelyhood, it appears that inbound DTMF signals are not being handled in the normal manner.

Has anyone forund a workaround or a solution to the problem?

Will speak with Tech Support tomorrow. Or else, will have to dump ooma.

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:37 pm

DTMF tone generation occurs on your phone. DTMF tones are sent outward on ooma, but ooma is unable to decode inbound DTMF ...this is a known bug

bajajmk

Post by bajajmk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm

niknak wrote:DTMF tone generation occurs on your phone. DTMF tones are sent outward on ooma, but ooma is unable to decode inbound DTMF ...this is a known bug

Yes, I guess its a known issue. Tech Support confirmed that today. Unfortunately, I had already ported 2 lines and have to transfer them back to some other provider.

DTMF is such a fundamental telephony standard that it is a shame that OOMA does not support it.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:37 pm

:?: So if ooma does not pass touchtone signals I wonder where the filtering is being done - in the hub, ooma's server equipment, or at the partners who connect us to the POTS? My question is because we will soon have Premier Google Voice Extensions and I can see instances if we use our ooma number as a front end for GV that features like call presentation might not work. Again, not sure of where the filtering takes place or exactly now GV and ooma will integrate but is does raise a flag in my mind. Hopefully they've thought about this limitation and it won't be a problem.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.