Gigabit Ethernet Please

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
TanMan
Gigabit Ethernet Please

Post by TanMan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm

My Ooma voice quality is worse than my old VOIP I had via my cable company. So I placed my Ooma between my cable modem and my router to see if that would help. Then I did a speed test on my 450mb/s cable internet. Imagine my surprise when my max speed was now 100mb/s! I restored the Ooma to behind the firewall, and my speeds were back up to around 450mb/s.

The fact that Ooma is using a 100mb/s Ethernet port in 2017 is insanity. Both ports should be Gigabit, allowing higher network speeds in a pass-thru configuration.

sabretooth02

Re: Gigabit Ethernet Please

Post by sabretooth02 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:11 am

This probably won't happen right away. The telo should be put behind the router as the instructions state. VoIP takes very little bandwidth and will work perfectly plugged into a LAN port in the router.

TanMan

Post by TanMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:16 am

I agree that it probably won't happen right away. That's why I put it in "Suggestion and Feature Requests".

The manual, if you actually bothered to read it, recommends placing the Ooma between the cable modem and the router for better call clarity. If you bothered to read my post, you'd see that I had originally placed the Ooma behind the router and was looking for better call quality. Also in my post, I did say I moved the Ooma back behind the firewall because of the slow internet speeds.

And although VOIP does indeed take little bandwidth, it's sensitive to latency, and latency can increase when the network is busy. That's why there's a thing called Quality of Service, so you can prioritize certain packets.

I was trying to see if there was some kind of incompatibility between Ooma and my router, which is why I moved it where I did. But because of the crappy Ethernet ports on the Ooma, that solution slowed my internet down, so I had to revert. And this is why I made this post.
Last edited by TanMan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am

I'm just saying that 99% of folks connect their telo to the LAN port of the router as it works best that way. No changes are usually needed. If you do need any changes, your network may not be configured for the best quality.

TanMan

Post by TanMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am

You have no idea what my network is. And I have no idea why you're posting on this thread since you obviously have nothing to add.

Tdiguy

Post by Tdiguy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 am

I second this. Though it might require a hardware refresh, its crazy that they even built the telo with 100mbps adapters, which also there is no ipv6 support in these devices. Why are these things so far behind when it comes to the networking in them? IPv6 has been out for a very long time now, heck even windows xp got a patch to allow ipv6.

PROJECTMAN28

Post by PROJECTMAN28 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 am

But if you are interested in their internet security feature, the telo is required in front of the router.

ewing@alum.mit.edu

Post by ewing@alum.mit.edu » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Agreed that 100 Mbs is too restrictive. I have > 250 Mb/s service, and I'm not keen to throw away half of it by inserting Ooma between modem and router. (For that matter, many installations combine modem & router in one box, so the "firewall" is impossible.)

On the other hand, for Ooma to do its filtering trick at 1 Gb/s is asking for 10X the CPU power, which will mean a new design and higher cost.

I was surprised to find this firewall/security option bundled into a VOIP box. Nice, but unrealistic for advanced users! I would be happy if Ooma could handle VOIP and QoS at 1 Gb/s, and let somebody else have the security function.

Falc0n

Post by Falc0n » Mon May 07, 2018 8:00 am

Gets my vote too. It’s a shame when a company sells network related equipment that does not include current (or in this case prior) technology standards, especially Gigabit networking. The cost is minimal, though helps the product have a longer life/support newer features. Is planned obsolescence a possibility here? I suspect their competitors also use 100 Mb, and it is lazy to maintain the status quo, but Ooma step up!
Happy Ooma customer since January 2009
Lifetime Premier Member

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:37 am

+1

I'm undecided about the Ooma internet security offering, but it's a complete no starter with a 100mb network limitation. Please Ooma, join the early 21st century.

pat----