Quick Setup Question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Franchise_24
Quick Setup Question

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 pm

So I just got OOMA and I want to put OOMA *BEHIND* my router. Just to verify I am doing this correctly, would I run from my router to the HOME port on my OOMA? And then if I want all the phones in the house to ring, just run from the WALL port on the OOMA directly into the phone jack on the wall so that they all will ring. Am I correct in this setup?

Thanks in advance,
Neal

southsound

Re: Quick Setup Question

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Not quite. The input to the hub from the Internet is the MODEM jack. The voice output that simulates a regular phone line is the PHONE jack. There are additional considerations if you have DSL running on your existing wiring but if not, just connect it like I've said and you are good to go. If your router has QoS settings there are some on the forum who can help you tweak things for best voice quality. :cool:

Further info - the WALL jack is if you are using a scout or if you are integrating your hub with an existing landline. The HOME jack is the network output if you have the ooma hub between the modem and router or PC.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm

southsound wrote:Not quite. The input to the hub from the Internet is the MODEM jack. The voice output that simulates a regular phone line is the PHONE jack. There are additional considerations if you have DSL running on your existing wiring but if not, just connect it like I've said and you are good to go. If your router has QoS settings there are some on the forum who can help you tweak things for best voice quality. :cool:

Further info - the WALL jack is if you are using a scout or if you are integrating your hub with an existing landline. The HOME jack is the network output if you have the ooma hub between the modem and router or PC.
So I want to run from my router port to the MODEM port on my OOMA? I thought I read that I run out of the WALL jack on the ooma hub for the phone line directly into my wall jack in the house so that ooma works on the existing phone lines in the house? Please help me clarify. I'm stuck at work and want to get it up and running when I get home :-)

P.S.
I run Road Runner cable internet and I'm not planning on using any scouts. I just want to use the hub and have it run all the phones in the homes existing landline wiring.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Franchise_24 wrote:
southsound wrote:Not quite. The input to the hub from the Internet is the MODEM jack. The voice output that simulates a regular phone line is the PHONE jack. There are additional considerations if you have DSL running on your existing wiring but if not, just connect it like I've said and you are good to go. If your router has QoS settings there are some on the forum who can help you tweak things for best voice quality. :cool:

So I want to run from my router port to the MODEM port on my OOMA? I thought I read that I run out of the WALL jack on the ooma hub for the phone line directly into my wall jack in the house so that ooma works on the existing phone lines in the house? Please help me clarify. I'm stuck at work and want to get it up and running when I get home :-)

P.S.
I run Road Runner cable internet and I'm not planning on using any scouts. I just want to use the hub and have it run all the phones in the homes existing landline wiring.
Yes, run the router to the MODEM port on the ooma (don't need to mess with the Home port on the hub since it is behind your router). The WALL jack is only to communicate with the scout unless you're using the integrated land line. If you want to "power" your phones through your house wiring connect the PHONE port to a wall plate. Keep in mind you need to make sure that you are disconnected from the street if you want to connect the phone port to your house wiring!
See this http://michigantelephone.workbench.net/ on how to disconnect from the street.
Go AVS!

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Ok. Thanks for the great information. I am porting my number and have a temp one right now, can I wait to disconnect till after the port is complete and use both systems right now? In other words, is it okay to set it up that way to use ooma, but when someone still calls the old number the phones in the house will still ring until it is ported over.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Franchise_24 wrote:Ok. Thanks for the great information. I am porting my number and have a temp one right now, can I wait to disconnect till after the port is complete and use both systems right now? In other words, is it okay to set it up that way to use ooma, but when someone still calls the old number the phones in the house will still ring until it is ported over.
In that case I'd leave your house wiring as is until the port is complete. In the interim hook up a wireless phone to the PHONE port on the ooma so you can start to enjoy the benefits of ooma today.

If you can't wait, you can see if you can forward your old service to the temporary ooma number until the port completes and then go ahead and incorporate the ooma into your house wiring as described above.
Go AVS!

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Franchise_24 wrote:Ok. Thanks for the great information. I am porting my number and have a temp one right now, can I wait to disconnect till after the port is complete and use both systems right now? In other words, is it okay to set it up that way to use ooma, but when someone still calls the old number the phones in the house will still ring until it is ported over.
Leave your house wiring intact
Setup ooma with the temp number and plug a corded phone or wireless base station into the ooma phone jack
You now can use your original line for incoming calls (everyone knows that number)
You can use ooma to call out for free local and long distance
When your number ports your temp number disappears. You can then plug the house wiring into ooma and have the ooma dialtone available on all wall jacks

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Again, I would like to take a second to thank *everyone* for the quick replies and great information. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Neal

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Where's our manners? - I guess I'll be the first to say it - Welcome to ooma, Neal. I think you're going to like it here. Lots of nice helpful people who will help you with questions and we also have a great support group for those who are going though withdrawal from those thick phone bills they used to receive every month! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Franchise_24

Post by Franchise_24 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 pm

southsound wrote:Where's our manners? - I guess I'll be the first to say it - Welcome to ooma, Neal. I think you're going to like it here. Lots of nice helpful people who will help you with questions and we also have a great support group for those who are going though withdrawal from those thick phone bills they used to receive every month! :cool:
On a side note, what *could* happen if I left my house wired to the street and hooked ooma to it so it would ring through the existing phone lines? How realistic is it that voltage goes through those lines?