Nomorobo call blocking not working.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
oomamaniacal
Re: Nomorobo call blocking not working.

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Relying on a list of suspected robocallers updated only once a week is old fashioned. Why not make callers who aren't in your Ooma contacts prove that they are not a robot by pressing a digit on their phone or by recording their name to complete the call and then playing it back when you answer the phone?
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

osterizer

Post by osterizer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:12 am

Spam protection is the reason I pay for premiere, and it's irritating that it works so poorly.

Ken430TX

Post by Ken430TX » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:18 am

Same for me. Got spam call today, and checked nomorobo database. It says do not answer known spammer. Why didn't it just block the call from 678-716-7644 if it is a known spammer?

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:34 am

Date Blocked : July 8, 2019 (TODAY), so it likely missed the import.

Ooma imports the NMR database ONCE/week... "early Monday AM". It's NOT live.

lmacmil

Post by lmacmil » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:37 am

Are there benefits to Premier beyond access to the NMR database? When I signed up a couple months ago, my robocalls went from 2 or 3 a day to 2 or 3 a week. That's worth it to me but it's a judgement everyone has to make for themselves. If you don't think you're getting the value you're paying for, then don't renew when it's time.

I don't know if this forum is monitored by Ooma or not. This thread is 1 1/2 years old and apparently Ooma still only updates the NMR database once a week. That tells me that either they can't do it more often or they don't feel it's worth the effort to satisfy the (likely small) percentage of subscribers who find it inadequate.

rowdy

Post by rowdy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm

We keep a home number only for doctors and attached to discount cards at stores. We never answer it but 49 out of 50 callers are spam. The majority also show up on Nomorobo yet they get through to us. Need a better system to block out the spam and junk.

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 am

I've had Ooma Premier for a few months now and just turned on the NomoRobo feature a few weeks ago. It actually seems like I get more spam calls than I did before. Majority of them are found in NomoRobo in a Google search.

In this day and age of Robocalls being such an extreme thing, I would think a once a week update is definitely a weak strategy.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:27 pm

IF your goal is to only get the calls you want, the only sure-fire method I've found is to check the "Block all numbers not in my contacts and 'Send to voicemail'" option. The assumption being, legitimate callers will leave messages & can be added to your contacts, if desired. NO current 'Ooma' approach (that I'm aware of) will automagically accomplish this for you.

FWIW, short of the above, I have used this strategy in the past.

https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 74#p141445

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:11 pm

That's pretty much how I've been handling it but just the "suspected" and "known" going to VM with the shortest ring duration for the time being to sift through the ones to block. Seems to be a reasonable strategy so far. Nice and quiet with the lack of ping calls ringing the house phones.

With my Ooma mounted in the garage with all my network stuff, it was a problem being it was on a tall shelf; keeping the message light out of sight. I picked up a wall mount for it and now I can see and access any VMs left on the device being I'm in and out of the garage constantly. I just need to find the sweet spot with NomoRobo and Ooma blocking. There are too many numbers coming through that are found on NomoRobo.

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:38 pm

I am getting bombarded with robocallers through my ooma phone number and they are all listed as robocallers when I look them up on my phone's app or if I google them, nomorobo works great with my cell phone where it blocks and it identifies robocallers almost 100% of the time (it is well worth the $1.99 a month I pay) I am so tired of reporting numbers on the nomorobo.com site for calls that get through on ooma that they are supposedly blocking already. So in short, NOMOROBO is useless on the OOMA network and a complete waste of time and energy to think it is doing something for you. I hope others have better luck. :(