Voicemail light on HD3 handset still blinking after clearing

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
eschurig
Voicemail light on HD3 handset still blinking after clearing

Post by eschurig » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:45 pm

I purchased an ooma telo air 2 and three HD3 handsets near the end of August. I have observed several glitches related to the HD3 handsets that I'm hoping there are or will be solutions. I specifically say the glitches are related to the HD3 handsets because my non ooma phones that are plugged into the base unit telephone line seem to work fine. Thus, it seems like the base unit telephony is working great but the operation of the HD3 handsets with the base has some issues as described below:

1. If I listen to voicemail on my handset and delete the message there rather than at the base, the handset on which I deleted the message continues to blink indicating a new voicemail is present. The blinking on other handsets stops. The base unit does not indicate that voicemail is present any longer. Only the handset that was used to listen to and clear the message(s). The last time it happened, there were 4 voicemails. After clearing them, the HD3 screen still indicated 4 voicemails and the led continued to blink. If I try to listen to the voicemails at this point, it says there are no voicemails. This may be intermittent as there have been times when the voicemails have been cleared correctly. However, the last few times, the light has continued to blink as i have described.

I talked to customer support and they suggested pulling the batteries which stopped the light from blinking. It happened again the next time I cleared a voicemail and I tried a soft reset by holding the red key down. This also cleared the blinking light problem. I don't think I should have to reboot my handset every time I listen to voicemails.

2. Occasionally the battery indicator will show 50% charged even though it has been on the charge cradle continuously. I don't believe the battery is really at 50% because I've seen it go back to 100% shortly after it reported 50%. I haven't figured out what causes it to go back to 100%.

2. Handset intermittently doesn't ring. At least one of my three handsets rings intermittently. When this happens, I can hear my non ooma phones ringing and I believe my other HD3 handsets are ringing as well. Other times, the same handset that didn't ring on an incoming call rings just fine.

3. One time the HD3 handsets all locked up. After receiving a call and hanging up, I could not get a dial tone by pushing the green button to make a call. Two of the HD3 handsets simply indicated "enter a number". The other handset asked if I wanted to join an existing call. I tried to join the call but then it said no call existed. If I pushed the green button again I got the same response. The Telo device seemed to be working in that I could get a dial tone on my non ooma handsets. I finally gave up and powered down the Telo box for about 30 seconds and then re-powered. One of the HD3 handsets connected fine. The other two HD3 handsets just indicated that they were trying to connect. After about 30 minutes, I gave up and decided to soft reset the handsets by holding the red button down. I then held the red button down again to power up the handset and it proceeded to successfully connect (or sync) with the telo 2. I then did the same with the other handset and things have been working ever since (for several days now).

Since my handsets were purchased so recently and went through a software update process during installation, I'm assuming they are up to date. I did some web searches and found others that have described the exact same symptoms so I believe there to be a problem that needs to be addressed. Please help.

eschurig

Re: Voicemail light on HD3 handset still blinking after clearing

Post by eschurig » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm

I just thought I would post an update to say that this problem has been solved. It persisted for a few weeks after my initial post and then it started working. Haven't had a problem since so it's been working for a month or so. I'm assuming there was a software update of some kind but am not sure how to verify when updates occur. I have to assume they occur automatically. Thanks ooma for fixing the problem. My HD3 handsets are nice now.

pamelaantonacci

Post by pamelaantonacci » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Yes, the HD3's are very buggy.. i'm nervous for the new update that pushes out home security announcements to all the handsets. I hope they are thoroughly testing it. I doubt it though because the issues with the HD3 have existed for many firmware releases... Check out this post https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21893

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:51 am

The "battery level 50%" issue still exists. I just charge my batteries in a separate charger and when the HD3's indicate low battery "0%" I just replace them. After rebooting the Telo it appears the voicemail waiting display is working but I haven't deleted any voicemails from an HD3 handset.

Amazingly enough the HD2 not only worked better but it's larger AA batteries kept it going longer and I liked the headset jack that disappeared on the HD3. Unfortunately, my HD2's all have suffered problems like the earpiece failing to work (I have to use the speakerphone on this one), the display dimming to the point you can barely read it, and other issues. I only have one HD2 that is still working OK. From my experience the HD3 is a piece of junk that I wish I had never purchased. Fortunately, the Telo port seems to work great and it feeds my Panasonic cordless phone system that has 6 handsets so I don't have to rely on the HD3's.

eschurig

Post by eschurig » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 am

After a year of using the HD3 handsets with my ooma telo, the message light and message count are almost never right on the handsets. Deleting the messages doesn't clear the light most of the time causing the message light on the HD3 handsets to blink when there are not messages. The handset may indicate any number of messages but it rarely reflects the number of messages actually available. Distance from the telo doesn't seem to make any difference. The handset next to the telo is just as disfunctional as the ones in other rooms. It seemed to work for a little while after my original post but for the most part this feature is not functioning. Seems like this would be a reasonably simple software fix. Something like a communication handshake between telo and handsets to ensure the message count gets communicated to the handset reliably. The message light on the telo and non ooma phones seems to work fine; it's just the HD3 handsets that don't work correctly.