Whole House

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Aveamantium
Re: Whole House

Post by Aveamantium » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm

I just had to check in to the board before heading off to bed because my ears just wouldn't stop burning! :)

Looks like southsound, wayne and niknak are offering excellent advice as usual so I'm just stopping in to say hi!
Go AVS!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Hey! I'm about ready to turn in myself.

Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:51 pm

niknak wrote: If you don't want shorts or stray voltages use standard wiring conventions:
red/green - line#1
yellow / black - line#2
:shock: Thanks, nicnak! I don't know how I typed that. I've corrected my post. The person who trained me as an installer would have fried me for that one. Of course, that was back in the days when the normal desk set was the WE 2500. :razz:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

aLf

Post by aLf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:26 am

Good Morning Gentlemen! Great info, just too much for a non-telco, pilot with jet lag.

First of all, let me draw a picture. I have a Leviton Box with a telco block m(8 wire) I have wired each of the (8 wire) terminals to a cat5 wire that runs to many outlets in the house. That said, what is the easiest way to make this work?

So if I understand by melding all your posts together. I just need to hook up the "modem" (simple part). Then route (plug in a cat 5, wired the same as the block) to the "home" of my block. Doing this only. Then on the pair 2 anywhere in the house, the scout will work? Dial tone at every outlet on pair 1?

Again, I appologize, I fly airplanes for a living. You guys are the masters, I'm just looking for a little dual here.

aLf

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25 am

southsound wrote:
niknak wrote: If you don't want shorts or stray voltages use standard wiring conventions:
red/green - line#1
yellow / black - line#2
:shock: Thanks, nicnak! I don't know how I typed that. I've corrected my post. The person who trained me as an installer would have fried me for that one. Of course, that was back in the days when the normal desk set was the WE 2500. :razz:
I thought so! I was pretty sure you knew the wire pairs, and it was late!
Did not want to mislead the OP

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 am

.. I have a Leviton Box with a telco block m(8 wire) I have wired each of the (8 wire) terminals to a cat5 wire that runs to many outlets in the house...
I'm trying to picture your setup...

basically you'll want all wall jacks that you want dialtone on to be wired together on the same pair of wires, then terminate that pair of wires at the PHONE port of the ooma hub.

On the jack that you want the scout to operate on you will need to run a second pair of wires plugged in to the WALL ports of the scout and hub

You'll want to use the pair connected to pins # 4&5 as line#1 and the pair connected to pins # 3&6 as line #2 in order to be compatible with RJ11 phone jacks

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:20 am

niknak wrote:
.. I have a Leviton Box with a telco block m(8 wire) I have wired each of the (8 wire) terminals to a cat5 wire that runs to many outlets in the house...
I'm trying to picture your setup...
Even though it is Cat5, with the punch down block they have it is only useful for telephone service. Each room has an RJ45 with all four pairs connected for phone service. This person has four lines available to them in each room.

This is very common in modern construction. Cat5, or better, is run to every room with a cheap phone punch down to support phone service. If you want, you could rip out the punch down and use a patch panel to support network to each room.

Scott

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Ok thanks Scott,
then I guess he needs all pairs that he wants on Line #1 to be wired in parallel with a leg going to the ooma hub phone port and he needs the 1 pair that he wants the scout to be on connected to the wall ports of the hub and scout

aLf

Post by aLf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:26 pm

Scott & niknak:

Thank you both. I'm assuming that the scout as I said is pre-wired to use the other two pins from factory. It doesn't matte rwhich two I use, but if the RJ pin has 4 wires and I believe the inside two are line one and the outside two are line 2. Now I understand the splitter in the picture. I got side tracked today with neighbors, but will either tonite or tomorrow hookk it up.

aLf

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:39 pm

aLf wrote:Scott & niknak:

Thank you both. I'm assuming that the scout as I said is pre-wired to use the other two pins from factory. It doesn't matte rwhich two I use, but if the RJ pin has 4 wires and I believe the inside two are line one and the outside two are line 2. Now I understand the splitter in the picture. I got side tracked today with neighbors, but will either tonite or tomorrow hookk it up.

aLf
No. The Scout does not use the Line 2 pins. It uses the Line 1 pins on both the Wall and Phone ports. You'll need to use an L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter, creative wiring in the wall plate, or custom L1 to L2 phone cords.

You are correct that line 1 is the inner two pins, and line 2 is the outter two pins. This is true for RJ11, RJ12, and RJ45. You know you can plug a phone cord into an RJ45 connector, right? That is what I do at home. The pair for L1 are the inner 2 (4 & 5), the pair for L2 are the next out (3 & 6), L3 is the left pair (1 & 2), and L4 is the right pair (7 & 8).

Scott