International Call Quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
nathan
Re: International Call Quality

Post by nathan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 pm

I agree. GV works really well for all countries I have tried very clear call quality. I can't wait for GV to be implemented for the ooma - I think they are suppose to come out with it around the same time as the telo.

-N

mycon

Post by mycon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 am

Call quality to Japan is not good. Delay sounds and low volume. Sending Fax thru ooma international call line always fails while receiving fax from Japan thru their VoIP line is working fine.

It was great if the delay sounds and low volume issues were fixed.

Domestic call quality is excellent! I love ooma.

stuman168

Post by stuman168 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:14 am

I activate my ooma today and port the number also. I had ATT and recently comcast digital. The call quality to call indonesia appear to be much better with ooma at least with my first call. I have to see to try calling at different times to see the call quality is consistent.
I also connect ooma base to modem directly. to minimize interruption from
router/firewall.

modem--->ooma---->router----->computer

If you guys have problem with call quality try to connect the ooma before the router maybe it'll helps.

my call to indonesia haven't been this clear even with the comcast digital or old ATT landline.
it's also a little cheaper.

cmbrandy

Post by cmbrandy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:23 pm

I love ooma for US calling. But for international calls to Kenya Africa the quality was terrible. I couldn't even understand the person I was talking too. It's a good thing we only put $10.00 on the ooma service. We'll go back to using calling cards which are much better unless ooma can figure out how to fix t he quality issue.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:36 pm

From everything I've noted from dealing with ooma they really want to give us a stellar experience with their system and with calling to other countries. Sometimes they don't know about a problem until someone gives them details. If you are having trouble with international or any calling for that matter, keep a log of the calls where you have difficulty. Time and date, who called who, number called, type of problem. Then after you have some cosistent data, give ooma a call and ask them if you can send a copy of the log (email or other format) to them and if they could comment / fix the problem. ooma deals with a lot of "partners" worldwide and we can help them and ourselves by supplying information to help them improve. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Magus

Post by Magus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I just noticed this after all this time, sorry! It is good news that you are inrtoducing those good options.

So that you have some specifics, you are welcome to look at my call logs. An example is on July 20: A 1 hr 35 minute call to France dropped 3 times, so you will see 4 consecutive outgoing calls. UK phone calls have been OK, although a call out today to a fax number in London would run out of fax signal time and I think the length of the announcement was partly to blame as they had set the reply rings to a high number; my fax machine stopped sending the fax signal. Calls to Tehran seem OK. I did not have a log of incoming calls today, but a call from France was dropped midstride for no reason and the caller called back asking if I was using a VOIP system and was adamant it was on my side. Again, please feel free to take a look at my call log.

Cheers and all the best,

Magus
Dennis P wrote:Hi Magus,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. Can you tell me where you are trying to call? International call quality can vary in quality much more then domestic calls and if you let us know where you are having problems, we can address it.

We track our partners closely on many aspects of their service level, but cannot always tell from the statistics that there is a problem, so please feed this back to us.

We're planning to make it easier in the Lounge to report call quality problems so that we can be more proactive about partner issues. We are also planning to streamline the calling experience so that you can auto-recharge and opt-out of the balance/time-remaining prompts.

Thanks.
Blue Lover

cmbrandy

Post by cmbrandy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:46 am

I was having problems with ooma voice quality calling Kenya Africa. I now use Google Voice and it's much better. Not only is the voice quality better but the price went from .35/min to .20/min using Goolgle voice. While ooma works great within the US and some other counties, it failed miserably when calling Kenya. I would love to support ooma by purchasing international calls but I can't as long as the quality and price is not competitive.

stevepow

Post by stevepow » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:56 am

Our call quality to Panama is finally good. I don't know if it was mentioning it here that helped or something Comcast may have done to the cable service. Either way, I'm pretty happy with Ooma at the moment - can't wait for my porting to get completed.
steve
comcast<->linksys router<->ooma hub<->ooma scout

desertrat

Post by desertrat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:59 am

called Thailand and was able to get through on the first try. But then in about 4 minutes my call was dropped and I can no longer connect. Just keep getting a Thai recording. Don't speak Thai so I just am guessing that it was telling me that it couldn't connect.

yiz

Post by yiz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:31 pm

I installed ooma recently. I usually use calling card to make international call to China. I have no problem before when use PSTN from ATT..

Now when I use ooma, I keep getting error, either missing DTMF digits, or the calling card provider say "you can not make direct call".

The most critical problem is missing DTMF. The digits I dialed is quite long, something like "0118657186239xxx". Sometimes it misses one digit, sometimes two.

I would say ooma VoIP combined with calling card VoIP service cause this problem.

yiz