Red Buttons of Death

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
TxDego
Red Buttons of Death

Post by TxDego » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:50 am

I think my hub is toast.

All the buttons on the hub are red with the exception of |<< and the square next to it & the no service light on the back is red also.

I have tried unplugging everything and restarting etc. Please keep in mind this deal has basically been working flawlessly for several months (4-6). I also get no dial tone or use of my POTS line when plugged into to hub, when I plug the POTS line into phone its all good.

Thinking the hub is toast, anyone got any input? Please advise.

TxDego

Re: Red Buttons of Death

Post by TxDego » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 pm

After 40 minutes on hold, someone finally picks up at Ooma Tech Support.

I love it when you get to talking to Hajji, and after about 30 seconds, you know that Hajji has absolutely no idea WTF he is talking about. I ask for a higher level tech support, but of course there is none.

Hajji just keeps saying, there has to be a light on the back of the hub. Hajji, there is no light. Sir there has to be a light. Hajji, my hub is fried trust me. Sir there has to be a light.

Ok Hajji, what you you like me to do. Hajji says, I need you to unplug you hub and plug it back in. Ok done, now what. Hajji says you see lights? No Hajji, I don't see any lights. Hajji then says, can you try another cable to plug in your hub? I say sure, no problem, new cable on, and I will restart everything, still all red lights on the front and no lights on the back, now what Hajji? Silence.

Hajji says what port are you plugged into? I am plugged into the Home Port. Hajji says, Oh that is the problem, you need to plug into the modem port. Hajji the direction clearly say to plug into the home port if you have a modem, router, and switch, not to mention that my hub has worked flawlessly for the last 4-6 months plugged into the Home Port, why would it all of a sudden work if I plug into the Modem Port?

OK, OK Hajji, I will plug into the Modem Port. So I plug into the Modem Port, knowing full well that that is not going to do $hit, but will humor Hajji. Ok Hajji, its all switched, and I reset everything while I'm at it. Hajji says you see any lights on the back. No Hajji, no lights. Hajji puts me on hold.

Hajji comes back, you need to reset your modem. I once again explain to Hajji that there is nothing up with my modem, my router, or my switch. That everything in my home that uses the internet(at least 60+ things) are all working fine. That up until last night, my Ooma hub has worked great, and for the last 4-6 months that I have owned my Ooma hub, not one single problem. So unless some evil internet elves came in the middle of the night and sabotaged my network so that everything but my Ooma works, there is nothing wrong with my Modem.

Hajji insists, Sir you must restart your modem. Ok, Ok, so I go to the hassle of resetting everything, knowing full well that I have already done this step. Now that everything is reset and but up after the power cycle, Hajji says what light do you see. Hajji, I don't see any lights on the back, and still have the same 6 red lights on the front.

At this point, Hajji puts me on hold again. When Hajji comes back, I explain to Hajji that I can't see the hub on the network, nor can I ping the hub. I try to explain to Hajji that the hub is fried, but Hajji just is not accepting this explanation.

Hajji, finally says, I will have to send this to a level 3 tech support, they will contact you back in the next 24 to 48 hours. I ask will this lvl 3 person get me some sort of RMA to send this hub in for a new one? Hajji says no, they will help you fix the hub. Fix the hub, ROLF, ok Hajji.

Ooma is classic, they will spend 3 times what the hub costs in labor to trouble shoot something that is clearly fried. It just kills me that the tech support people assume we are all idiots, and that surely we just have something hooked up incorrectly.

Will keep y'all posted on the Sher Genius that is Ooma Tech Support.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm a bit confused by your setup. When everything worked - you had nothing plugged into the hub's modem port?
Have you tried isolating the hub from all other devices by plugging the modem directly into the hub's modem port with nothing plugged into the home port (for test purposes only)? You should first reset the hub by holding down the ooma tab for a few seconds, then reboot the modem. Wait a minute or two to see if the hub then connects.
TxDego wrote:After 40 minutes on hold, someone finally picks up at Ooma Tech Support.

I love it when you get to talking to Hajji, and after about 30 seconds, you know that Hajji has absolutely no idea WTF he is talking about. I ask for a higher level tech support, but of course there is none.

Hajji just keeps saying, there has to be a light on the back of the hub. Hajji, there is no light. Sir there has to be a light. Hajji, my hub is fried trust me. Sir there has to be a light.

Ok Hajji, what you you like me to do. Hajji says, I need you to unplug you hub and plug it back in. Ok done, now what. Hajji says you see lights? No Hajji, I don't see any lights. Hajji then says, can you try another cable to plug in your hub? I say sure, no problem, new cable on, and I will restart everything, still all red lights on the front and no lights on the back, now what Hajji? Silence.

Hajji says what port are you plugged into? I am plugged into the Home Port. Hajji says, Oh that is the problem, you need to plug into the modem port. Hajji the direction clearly say to plug into the home port if you have a modem, router, and switch, not to mention that my hub has worked flawlessly for the last 4-6 months plugged into the Home Port, why would it all of a sudden work if I plug into the Modem Port?

OK, OK Hajji, I will plug into the Modem Port. So I plug into the Modem Port, knowing full well that that is not going to do $hit, but will humor Hajji. Ok Hajji, its all switched, and I reset everything while I'm at it. Hajji says you see any lights on the back. No Hajji, no lights. Hajji puts me on hold.

Hajji comes back, you need to reset your modem. I once again explain to Hajji that there is nothing up with my modem, my router, or my switch. That everything in my home that uses the internet(at least 60+ things) are all working fine. That up until last night, my Ooma hub has worked great, and for the last 4-6 months that I have owned my Ooma hub, not one single problem. So unless some evil internet elves came in the middle of the night and sabotaged my network so that everything but my Ooma works, there is nothing wrong with my Modem.

Hajji insists, Sir you must restart your modem. Ok, Ok, so I go to the hassle of resetting everything, knowing full well that I have already done this step. Now that everything is reset and but up after the power cycle, Hajji says what light do you see. Hajji, I don't see any lights on the back, and still have the same 6 red lights on the front.

At this point, Hajji puts me on hold again. When Hajji comes back, I explain to Hajji that I can't see the hub on the network, nor can I ping the hub. I try to explain to Hajji that the hub is fried, but Hajji just is not accepting this explanation.

Hajji, finally says, I will have to send this to a level 3 tech support, they will contact you back in the next 24 to 48 hours. I ask will this lvl 3 person get me some sort of RMA to send this hub in for a new one? Hajji says no, they will help you fix the hub. Fix the hub, ROLF, ok Hajji.

Ooma is classic, they will spend 3 times what the hub costs in labor to trouble shoot something that is clearly fried. It just kills me that the tech support people assume we are all idiots, and that surely we just have something hooked up incorrectly.

Will keep y'all posted on the Sher Genius that is Ooma Tech Support.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Hajji.... sorry, but that is a funny story. I used to get that with IBM all the time....

Anyway. Can you explain your hookup?

Modem->ooma->router
OR
modem->router->ooma?

Thanks,

Wayne

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Yea, I don't know how it would work with the modem plugged into the home port and nothing plugged into the modem port. The modem (cable or DSL) should be plugged into the modem port of the Ooma hub and your router or PC should be plugged into the home port. Assuming your setup is modem -> ooma -> router.

See here: http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/articl ... 34&p=12040 for troubleshooting info.

Are you getting green lights next to the modem or home ports on the hub?

Have you checked the status here: http://setup.ooma.com ?

Is your Ooma configured to use your landline?

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:59 pm

...Yea, I don't know how it would work with the modem plugged into the home port and nothing plugged into the modem port....
I agree, very strange!

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am

It definitely should not work if you just had the HOME port plugged in, so I think there's some confusion about how you originally had this setup. Make sure you have the MODEM port connected to a port on your router or modem that has a connection to the Internet.

I'm not seeing any logs from your Hub since 7/31. To test the Hub's connection, try plugging a PC into the HOME port and check if you're seeing link lights (should be a green light on the left side of the port). After you've verified that you're seeing a link light, check if you can browse to "http://setup.ooma.com" in your web browser. If this is successful, try browsing out to the Internet to check your Internet connectivity.
niknak wrote:
...Yea, I don't know how it would work with the modem plugged into the home port and nothing plugged into the modem port....
I agree, very strange!
Bobby B