Two lines - One Google Voice, the other Fax

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
energyx
Two lines - One Google Voice, the other Fax

Post by energyx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 am

I purchased a Telo and Linx thinking that with Premier service, I could use one line for fax (new number) and one line for a phone line with Google Voice extensions. It looks like I'm in a catch 22 and will have to purchase a 3rd phone number. Once I move the second "free" number that is GV enabled to a private account to assign a specific device, it removes the GV integration. The only way to have the devices ring individually is with a private account and that then requires yet a 3rd number since the GV integration with _only_ work with virtual or secondary numbers on either account. This is a showstopper for me as I don't need a 3rd number other than to appease this limited system. At ~$15/mo for Premier and taxes I was on board, but not so much for another $4.99. Suggestions? Am I missing something? Thanks

murphy

Re: Two lines - One Google Voice, the other Fax

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:59 am

If you want to use GV then you don't need a primary phone number. All calling will be done with the GV number.
GV on the secondary number. No one should know what that number is since it is dedicated to GV.
FAX machine on the primary number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 am

I currently have the setup you want, and I only use two phone numbers. The fax is plugged into the primary line, and I use an Ooma linx for my Google Voice calls. My Google voice calls are forwarded to my secondary number. I never give out my secondary Ooma number.
Last edited by oomamaniacal on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

energyx

Post by energyx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am

How do you route calls to the Linx and not ring the main Fax number without a private account?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:12 am

You have to have a private account. You just never give out the secondary phone number since you are using your Google Voice number instead.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

energyx

Post by energyx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:15 am

My reason for the GV extension is so I can also use the outbound caller ID set as my GV number. When I move the GV number to the private account it removes the integration.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 am

You don't move the actual GV number to the private account. Instead you choose a phone number that Ooma gives you and then you go to the settings of your GV account and set it to forward you GV number to the private account number. I have the outbound call ID set to mimic my GV number.
Last edited by oomamaniacal on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

energyx

Post by energyx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:23 am

That's fine for incoming but I want my GV number for the outgoing caller ID and to do that you have to use the GV integration app in the ooma portal. That only works on second numbers and when I move that number to the private account the integration is removed. How do you have it set to "mimic" your GV outbound ID?
Last edited by energyx on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am

It sounds like you should call Ooma customer service.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

energyx

Post by energyx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:34 am

I understand how their system works, and it is limiting what functions work on which account (main vs private). How do you "mimic" your outbound caller ID to match GV? Attached are images of the two numbers and devices. If I move the number with the Google icon next to it over to the second account it removes the Google integration. From what I understand that is the only way to set your outbound caller ID to the GV number.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (40.57KiB)Viewed 4148 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (38.7KiB)Viewed 4148 times