Annoying ooma marketing message

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
scottlindner
Re: Annoying ooma marketing message

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:57 am

WayneDsr wrote:Nope, this is my opinion, please be tolerant of me!

Wayne
I am, my words were probably stronger than the intent. :)

quebert

Post by quebert » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:25 pm

This is par for the course, when I had Verizon wireless, I paid $100 a month and every person who called and left a voice mail got "thank you for calling Verizon Wireless" at the end. Annoying? maybe, but it's common so I don't see the big deal. Even if you are a premier member, every cell phone provider I can think of lets every caller who leaves a voice mail hear who the company is.

iSEPIC

Post by iSEPIC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 pm

quebert wrote:This is par for the course, when I had Verizon wireless, I paid $100 a month and every person who called and left a voice mail got "thank you for calling Verizon Wireless" at the end. Annoying? maybe, but it's common so I don't see the big deal. Even if you are a premier member, every cell phone provider I can think of lets every caller who leaves a voice mail hear who the company is.
This isn't exactly true for all the carriers, AT&T doesn't advertise, neither does Sprint (but I can't say 100% for sure for Sprint as I've not had them in a year).

quebert

Post by quebert » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 pm

iSEPIC wrote:
quebert wrote:This is par for the course, when I had Verizon wireless, I paid $100 a month and every person who called and left a voice mail got "thank you for calling Verizon Wireless" at the end. Annoying? maybe, but it's common so I don't see the big deal. Even if you are a premier member, every cell phone provider I can think of lets every caller who leaves a voice mail hear who the company is.
This isn't exactly true for all the carriers, AT&T doesn't advertise, neither does Sprint (but I can't say 100% for sure for Sprint as I've not had them in a year).
You are right, but both do for their cell phones, but I think it varies from place to place. I know with Sprint depending on what AC you're calling, you can get a totally different voice mail system.

If the short message a caller hears after leaving me a message leads to them looking into Ooma and possibly signing up. I'm all for it, I really REALLY want Ooma to stick around. And sadly nobody I know has even heard of it. If they were to offer an add-on package to chop the message off, I think everybody would win.

mrbig

Post by mrbig » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:50 pm

quebert wrote:
iSEPIC wrote:
You are right, but both do for their cell phones, but I think it varies from place to place. I know with Sprint depending on what AC you're calling, you can get a totally different voice mail system.

If the short message a caller hears after leaving me a message leads to them looking into Ooma and possibly signing up. I'm all for it, I really REALLY want Ooma to stick around. And sadly nobody I know has even heard of it. If they were to offer an add-on package to chop the message off, I think everybody would win.
I don't think you're understanding who hears the marketing message... it' not the caller that hears it, I'm the one who hears it after monitoring a call. I don't need to be sold on ooma because I've already bought it. The caller hears nothing.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:32 am

...The caller hears nothing...
Actually the caller does hear it if they press # to review and confirm their message before sending it. Most callers just hang up after recording their message and don't hear it

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am

mrbig wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I have noticed though, that rarely anyone hears it, normally they hang right up after leaving a voicemail.
Wayne
Thanks for the answer Wayne. It's actually something that's annoying for ME to have to listen to every time a message is left (generally from a telemarketer).
Hmm, I never hear that message????? You DO know that you can blacklist those telemarketers, don't you?

shradm

Post by shradm » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

I just had a long discussion about this issue with customer support and I was told that there is no option to disable this marketing message. However, I decided to try a few things and figured out a way to disable this message. Basically, as long as you use the greeting type with the machine's automated voice (e.g. your telephone number along with Ooma message or your name along with Ooma message), I used to hear the prompt/option to press # for more options and the marketing message after someone left me a voice mail. As soon as I recorded my own personal greeting and started using that, I do NOT hear the Ooma marketing message while screening the voice mail nor does the caller hear any such marketing message. :)

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:01 am

Very cool. That's why I've never heard it before. Thanks for sharing!

Scott

shradm

Post by shradm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 am

Also, I must add - that in case this doesn't work, try this: In your Ooma lounge, go to voice mail preferences and change the ring settings from "4 rings" to "9 rings", save this setting, disconnect power from the Ooma hub, reconnect the hub after 10 secs.

You can always go back to the 4-ring or any other setting after trying this. I know this method sounds weird but one of the support help desk guys suggested I try this, as this is what he read in one of his log books as a hit-and-try-method :)

I did try this and changed the voice mail greeting to personal greeting. Don't know what worked - if it just the change in greeting or the change in ringer setting or both. But whatever worked, it worked and I don't hear the marketing message.