Removing company's incoming line from Phone connection box

Get help installing your Ooma business phone system.
lyinglegalbum
Removing company's incoming line from Phone connection box

Post by lyinglegalbum » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:40 am

Hello - I've just gotten Ooma and I'm reading that I need to disconnect my phone Company's (Bell Canada) incoming line from my Phone Connection box outside my house before plugging the phone ethernet to our jacks. Been reading a lot of troubleshoot pages but my box doesn't look like any of the ones shown. Can anyone let me know which line(s) in the attached picture I should be pulling out?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.45KiB)Viewed 6850 times
Thank you kindly

Beatfan

Re: Removing company's incoming line from Phone connection box

Post by Beatfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:14 pm

I have the same question or problem. My electrician just stopped by my house, pointed out the phone line coming from the utility pole into the junction box on my roof. But if he disconnects that line, I will suddenly not have DSL Internet service from my provider, AT&T. So, I'm in a Catch 22. I called Ooma tech support and they were not helpful (they said to just "read the manual"). I may post a separate item in the Ooma forum, but it seems such a common problem. What does Ooma suggest, I wonder? Unless it's just their standard legal disclaimer because they don't want people to claim their Ooma base was damaged from electrical current coming from the phone lines. I don't know; it's frustrating.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Run the incoming phone line to the jack near where the DSL modem is and disconnect it from all of the other jacks in the house. That should have been done by the DSL installer. All of the excess phone wires in your wall will reduce your DSL speed if they remain connected.
Once that is done you can use the now isolated wires for Ooma.

The Canadian box will need a comment from someone in Canada that is familiar with the box. My guess would be to unplug the phone plug in the lower right of the box and tag it so no one ever plugs it back in.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

t15industries

Post by t15industries » Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 am

Like Murphy, I would guess it's the one in the lower right corner as well...