Factory Reset of Telo Air 2 Not Working After Adding Password

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Paul.
Factory Reset of Telo Air 2 Not Working After Adding Password

Post by Paul. » Mon May 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Today, I connected my browser to my Telo Air 2 and added a password for remote administration of the Telo and also selected wireless administration. Now, when I try to log into the Telo at 172.27.35.1 via its Home Port using my browser, the browser requests my username and pw, which is what I expected: "http://172.27.35.1 is requesting your username and password. The site says: “Password protected area”.

However, when I enter my username (can't change it from: admin) and pw, it does not log me in - it just keeps requesting my username and pw.

If I try to connect to the Telo wirelessly (that is how I normally use it) at 172.27.35.1, I get a blank page with "Loading Configuration Page....." and after a few minutes an error that the server at that address is not responding.

I tried a performing a factory reset using *#*#099 from one of my HD3 handsets and just get a rapid busy signal after entering the *code. I tried another *code (*#*#001 - Speak the version of software) which worked to make sure the handset was working.
  • Does anyone know how to force the factory reset?
  • Are there limits to the length or complexity of the password that can be assigned (mine is 21 characters and includes symbols, upper case, lower case and numbers)?
  • Any other ideas?

murphy

Re: Factory Reset of Telo Air 2 Not Working After Adding Password

Post by murphy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:54 am

Some symbols can be a problem because they have special meanings in code compilers. I don't know which code compiler Ooma is using but & (ampersand) should always be avoided in a password. If you did put an ampersand in the password try entering it twice every place that you used it.

Try issuing the reset sequence from a phone connected to the phone jack on the Telo.

Here are the complicated instructions to manually reset a Telo 2.

viewtopic.php?t=20074#p134297
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Paul.

Post by Paul. » Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks, murphy. I'll report back to the forum after I give your suggestions a try.

I don't have any ampersands in the pw, but do have a forward slash that could perhaps cause confusion. Once I get it reset, I'll use a less problematic set of characters for the pw.

Paul.

Post by Paul. » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks again murphy, I was able to complete the factory reset, set a new remote PW, and enable both wifi and homeport password-protected access.

For others who might be interested:
  • I connected a phone to the telephone jack on the Telo and was able to enter the *code for a factory reset (*#*#099). After responding "1" to a voice prompt to confirm I wanted to perform the reset, the unit rebooted. HD3 handset registrations were reset, but the Telo was otherwise not affected (I could still make calls and the problematic pw was still keeping me from configuring the Telo).
  • The hard manual reset instructions worked to factory reset the unit. After releasing the buttons, the red logo stayed on for a while rather than turning off quickly as implied by the instructions.
  • I then connected to the Home Port and added my WiFi network credentials and the unit connected to Ooma and registered itself (or whatever it does). I then registered all of my handsets.
  • I then turned on the "Allow access to this website over the WIRELESS port" and "Enable password protected access to this website" on the Advanced tab and set a new pw.
  • It appears that the password has a maximum length of 20 characters (my original one was longer and was probably truncated so that might have been my problem. I also used only one unique special character to simplify troubleshooting.
  • Also, I misspoke in my original post - the address (172.27.35.1) is actually the default address for the Home Port, not for WiFi access which is assigned by your router.