3 Entirely Separate Lines - How?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
RicardoZ
3 Entirely Separate Lines - How?

Post by RicardoZ » Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi,

I currently have 3 entirely separate phone lines. 1 Ooma Telo (Premier). 2 regular land lines.

Would like to move everything to Ooma. It's very important that all three lines stay completely separate and can simultaneously host unique calls. Two completely separate businesses, plus a home phone line. Using the HD3 is not an option, because I already have a 4-line cordless system (with handsets around the house) that work very well.

What's the most efficient way to make this work? Linx device(s)? Two more Ooma Telo units? Will that keep the 3 lines completely separated with unique outgoing caller ID? Is there an additional monthly charge?

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer!

murphy

Re: 3 Entirely Separate Lines - How?

Post by murphy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am

The Telo, with the addition of a Linx would handle 2 lines at the same time. Connect the Telo phone jack to line 1 of the 4 line cordless base. Connect the Linx phone jack to line 2 of the cordless base. The lines have to be set up in the online account to be separate. To get a third simultaneous line you need another Telo which will add the same charges as you currently pay. It will also work with 3 Telos but you will be paying triple the monthly cost instead of double.

With more than 1 Telo they should both be connected to LAN ports on your router. Putting them in series between the modem and the router can be made to work but one of them has to be modified or neither will work.

If you have fast internet, more than 100 mbps, they must be behind the router or you will cap your internet speed at 100 mbps.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

RicardoZ

Post by RicardoZ » Sun May 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi Murphy,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate it.

After I posted my original question, I reached out to Ooma. I was told that the Telo + 2x Linx would get me 3 fully independent lines for the price of Premier.

Based on your answer, the Ooma rep was incorrect. Can you clarify? It would be great to get all three lines for one monthly/annual charge.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:03 am

You can have three independent lines with two Linx. However only two of the three could be in use at the same time because the Telo only has two channels to the server. I suspect that if two lines were in use a call to the third one would go directly to voicemail. Voicemail is handled by the server. If three simultaneous calls is important then you need at least two Telos.

I think it can be done with the business version but the charges are probably more than the home version.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

RicardoZ

Post by RicardoZ » Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 am

Thank you for the clarification. Very helpful. So frustrating that the Ooma rep so confidently gave me incorrect info...

RicardoZ: Here's what I am trying to accomplish. Please let me know the best way to do it.
RicardoZ: I currently have 3 entirely separate phone lines. 1 Ooma Telo (Premier). 2 regular land lines.
RicardoZ: Would like to move everything to Ooma. It's very important that all three lines stay completely separate and can simultaneously host unique calls.
RicardoZ: Thanks for any recommendations you can offer!
Ooma Rep: How many phone numbers do you have?
RicardoZ: 3
RicardoZ: All three must be completely separate...and have ability for 3 simultaneous calls.
Ooma Rep: You can go with the Ooma Linx and separate the lines by following the instructions on this link: http://support.ooma.com/home/personal-devices/
Ooma Rep: You can stick with just one Ooma Telo with 2 Ooma Linx for the 3 numbers.
Ooma Rep: One of the numbers will be associated with the Ooma Telo while the 2 other numbers will be link to the Ooma Linx.