dropped calls and other questions

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
danielvanhem
dropped calls and other questions

Post by danielvanhem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi-

Just installed ooma on Monday, bought the premier membership, and am in the process of porting over my landline # right now. Over the last few days, the system has worked "OK" with more than several dropped calls, and some missed voicemails that I found on my landline's voicemail. I also noticed that my caller ID on my Panasonic cordless is only working some of the time. Occasionally, I'll pick up the phone to make a call on both the Hub or the Scout, and although I do get an ooma dial tone, I can't complete the call.

I have a bit of a different setup that I didn't see covered in the guide or online so let me know if there's anything I'm doing wrong.

In essence, my Comcast cable modem works as my "wall jack." Previously, I had my "landline" through Comcast and I haven't had a working wall jack in my house for years; in fact, I've split my two phones off of the cable modem.

So the way I have my ooma Hub configured is such: HOME ethernet to my computer, MODEM ethernet to the cable modem, PHONE is connected to a cordless phone, and here's the tricky part:

I've connected a splitter to the WALL on the ooma to which I have one line connected to my cable modem's telephone jack [which I described above], and the other line is connected via a long telephone line to my scout in another room.

As I said before, things are working fairly well, but I don't want to deal with always worrying if I've missed a call or a message, as well as sometimes waiting several minutes for the phone to work when I'm placing a call.

Can anyone help me with these issues?

Thanks so much in advance,
Dan

murphy

Re: dropped calls and other questions

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Disable the Comcast voice mail. You have a race between Comcast and ooma as to which one will answer. Once the port is complete, Comcast will be out of the picture.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

danielvanhem

Post by danielvanhem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks for the good suggestion, but I've already done that. Any other ideas?

but2002

Post by but2002 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:47 pm

danielvanhem wrote:Thanks for the good suggestion, but I've already done that. Any other ideas?
I don't see why you have the "wall" port running into the comcast modem, That shouldn't be needed in this configuration

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:16 am

I'm guessing that he selected use with a land line when he registered the ooma hub instead of use without a land line and must have the Comcast line connected to make it work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

but2002

Post by but2002 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:17 am

murphy wrote:I'm guessing that he selected use with a land line when he registered the ooma hub instead of use without a land line and must have the Comcast line connected to make it work.
If this is true, then when his number is ported, won't his Ooma fail to work?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:54 am

but2002 wrote:
murphy wrote:I'm guessing that he selected use with a land line when he registered the ooma hub instead of use without a land line and must have the Comcast line connected to make it work.
No, they'll reconfigure his Ooma to be standalone when the port completes.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:02 am

bw1 wrote:
but2002 wrote:
No, they'll reconfigure his Ooma to be standalone when the port completes.
Ah, well I'm not too familliar with that. We dropped our landline a loong time ago, to stick with Dry-Loop DSL, and before I found ooma, we were using MagicJack, and nearly got an ATA, then the day before I was going to order an ATA to use MagicJack with, I found Ooma, then the week after I got Ooma set up working, I found out that MagicJack blocked ATA's. Lucky me! :D /sorry for thread hi-jack

danielvanhem

Post by danielvanhem » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am

This is exactly right. Have I done something wrong? For now, things seem to be working, so hopefully it will remain status quo. Thanks for the help