The Fast busy signal - any help PLEASE!!!!!

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mosteve
Re: The Fast busy signal - any help PLEASE!!!!!

Post by mosteve » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:49 pm

i thought ooma was a peer to peer network of ooma devices making all calls 'local' by using your ooma hub and another person's ooma hub where you are calling with the 'internet' in between to route the calls. i read this in an article describing the process:

For instance, when an Ooma customer in San Francisco makes a call to Boston, the call travels via the Internet to another Ooma box in the neighborhood of the person he's trying to call. That Ooma box then routes the call to its destination phone using the local operator's land line network.
Thanks,
- Steve

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Might you please post or link to the official article-text detailing that very Ooma local-dialing plan as you describe? I think it is time for a bit of clarification as to what end-route signaling is really going on here.

Passing traffic-packets along the Internet is one thing. Skype does that all the time on their voice-service. But if what you say is the case, what would be the result of every Ooma customer choosing to divorce their landline connection in favor of Internet-only dialing and connectivity to their PoP Servers? Wouldn't the Ooma network suddenly kill any dial-out attempts for lack of hardwire routes?

Besides, the 'traditional phone-company' is abandoning their old switch methods on copper-wiring and slowly moving everyone across the Country to a more up-to-date fiber-line infrastructure. That is why you see companies such as Verizon and ATT moving over to fiber backbones and fiber-switches being installed in suburban communities, neighborhoods and cities. I can assure you that no Voip service is going to piggyback a 'free ride' from some stranger's phone-jack on those new pipes. ;)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

mosteve

Post by mosteve » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks,
- Steve

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Update:

I was messing with Ooma today, all alone since no Customer Service to help me:( So back to my issue with me not able to call my mom, local number 1+(734)-854-xxxx. Since I am able to call other local numbers I didn't think that mattered but I was curious what would happen if I was not in (734) area code - would I be able to call my mom living in (734) area code?

So since I am new, and as every new customer I have 60 days of free Premier services, I figured what the heck, let's experiment and setup an additional phone line. I decided to add a line (since still free) and added a line from (419) TOLEDO, OH area code this time. 3 minutes later, (very convenient btw), I had an active phone number in (419) area code.

So I dialed my mom using Ooma device, first needed to tell Ooma to use the secondary phone line by pressing **1 followed by 1+(734)-854-xxxx (you get the point), and to my surprise I go through without any issues - no busy signal, call went through just fine.

So go figure this one out. Ooma box issue, Ooma routing/database issues or some other unknown to me telephony issue? I know I’m not crazy with this mess, but it definitely makes me very uncomfortable when it comes to Ooma calling. Unless I get some clear answers to this problem, I am not sure what exactly I am going to do with my new Ooma purchase.

I really need OOMA ENGENEERS to look at this one.

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am

Update 12/29/08
Called support this morning – got through the vm twice and 3rd time after 15 min on hold finally got a support person. Thankfully I had a headset so it didn’t bother me waiting on phone while I was doing something else.
Anyway, the issue with me not being able to dial out 1+(734)-854-xxxx specific number seems to be something Ooma support is aware of but from the sounding of it, it seems to be case by case basis. The guy I talked to was very understanding to what I was telling me and when I asked him why the call goes through when I dial it using my secondary line I created that’s in the different area code – this case (419) xxx – xxxx number I requested, he responded that (734) and (419) area codes use different providers/carriers so obviously (734) provider is having issues.
He had asked if I had more numbers I could not get through – that was nice he enquired more about the problem.
Anyways, he took the problem number and was going to report it to engineers to get this resolved. Told me that they will email me when the issue is resolved. We will see how long that will take.
If you’re having similar type of issue please contact support or email them and hopefully you will be able to access your numbers as I am hoping soon.

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 pm

My issue with getting busy fast signal when calling local number was resolved by support same day. good luck everyone.

marklib

Post by marklib » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm glad I just read this topic because calling oomas cust service is an exercise in futility. I just got the email that my number ported, went to the phone to dial my cell number and lo and behold nuttin' but a fast busy.
Here in North Carolina we have to dial the area code even for local calls, so I continued the "habit" when using ooma, but alas, there is no need to dial the local area code from within ooma. Prob solved, thanks.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 am

Yeah, I believe this is something the ooma 'techs' are going to need to have standardized across the Network, just as it is now with Cell-phones and even other VoIP systems. WE NEED TEN-DIGIT LOCAL CALL DIALING to become the norm on ooma. I know telco switches and setting up Routing is a complicated thing...but let's 'Git-er done.'

Ten-digit dialing for both Local and LD is so standard in the US and most places now, it is like saying..."Why use the Zip Code on an envelope?? Everyone can plainly see the City and Street address right there in writing!" ;)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>