Voicemail eating messages

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
ZeroPoint
Voicemail eating messages

Post by ZeroPoint » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

On 2 separate occasions, I've listened to people leave messages while I was call screening... But when they finished leaving their message and hung up, my Ooma system indicated that there was no message (even though I heard them leave one.) No blinking light, nothing in the online inbox. Also, I received no email notification that a message was left. If I hadn't been here & heard them call, I would've never known they did. Makes me wonder how many calls I've missed this way... Anyone else experienced this? Is there some solution?

ZeroPoint

Re: Voicemail eating messages

Post by ZeroPoint » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 pm

No reply here, and tech support suggest I reboot the Ooma. *sigh*

From what I've gathered on this board, that's about as helpful as they get on support. I'm guessing this is not a common problem.

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Is the message left on the lounge? The ooma hub or scout doesn't save the message as far as I know. Have you rebooted the hub yet? I would also unplug the scout also and reboot.
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

ZeroPoint

Post by ZeroPoint » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Nope. Message is not left in the lounge. There is no evidence the message was ever left anywhere. And definitely did try rebooting.

just4fn

Post by just4fn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

If the message is not left in the lounge then I would think it isn't a hardware issure but a issue with ooma home base. I think you could roboot until the cows come home and it wouldn't help. It may be a routing problem back to ooma. This is all a guess.
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 pm

The message itself is gone, but what about the call logs? Did the lounge even show the call log for these calls?

ZeroPoint

Post by ZeroPoint » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 pm

The call logs do show them as missed calls.

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Apparently they were very "missed".

To the best of my knowledge, I have not had this happen and I do have call screening turned on as well. Not much of a feature if it doesn't save the messages though.

I have to agree with Just4fun though. It would seem like an issue with home-base and not your equipment. Your equipment doesn't do anything with regards to voice mail other than report back status. The rest is handled by ooma's servers.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 am

Just a though. Do you have one ooma number or a second number assigned to the Scout?

Wayne

ZeroPoint

Post by ZeroPoint » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:38 am

Nope, I didn't configure the scout to a different number.

Very odd. Perhaps I should experiment and have a few friends call me several times while I screen. See how many voicemails get dropped so I can get an idea of how bad this problem really is.