DMZ Setting on Router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dtalwar
DMZ Setting on Router

Post by dtalwar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:49 pm

I just read in one of the posts that Ooma hub should be in Router's DMZ. My setup is <Cable Modem> -> <Router (D-Link DIR-655)> -> <Ooma>. I do not have Ooma in the Router's DMZ and it has been working fine for a few weeks now. Should I configure the router to have Ooma in the DMZ (I now feel I might be missing something if I don't have it in the DMZ)?

t4feb

Re: DMZ Setting on Router

Post by t4feb » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 am

dtalwar wrote:I just read in one of the posts that Ooma hub should be in Router's DMZ. My setup is <Cable Modem> -> <Router (D-Link DIR-655)> -> <Ooma>. I do not have Ooma in the Router's DMZ and it has been working fine for a few weeks now. Should I configure the router to have Ooma in the DMZ (I now feel I might be missing something if I don't have it in the DMZ)?
That ole saying
If it ain't broke don't fix it
Terry

ggilman

Re: DMZ Setting on Router

Post by ggilman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:32 am

I can't see why anyone would want to DMZ from the router to the Ooma. There must have been a specific reason. I would definitely not suggest doing this unless you have a specific reason. The Ooma is used to being exposed to the Internet so there's not that big of a risk really, but I see no real benefit.

In the alternate configuration, with Ooma before the router (cable modem->ooma->router), there is good reason to have Ooma's DMZ open to the router. It saves you from having to open two separate firewalls every time you need an opening. Are you sure the other posts weren't talking about this?

Anyway, generally DMZs are not a good option in the first place. You only set them up when it's necessary or solves a problem. In your case, there is little to no benefit and your Ooma is more secure without the DMZ. I can see no real purpose to doing this. Unless you have some specific problems, I wouldn't touch it.