e911 -Anyone give it a test yet?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
niknak
Re: e911 -Anyone give it a test yet?

Post by niknak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:54 am

I live in a very big city and tried a test call as well. Glad to report they had the correct information too!

atici

Post by atici » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:24 am

I called and I was told they don't give me any such info :) I guess I'll have to wait until an emergency...

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 am

I live in a rural area. Our 911 is handled by the county sheriff. I called the dispatchers office and asked if I could test 911. She told me to hang up and try 911. She had all my information.

sj

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 am

atici wrote:I called and I was told they don't give me any such info :) I guess I'll have to wait until an emergency...

Don't "ask for information" - say that you are verifying the address they have on file for your number

atici

Post by atici » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

niknak wrote: Don't "ask for information" - say that you are verifying the address they have on file for your number
I did and I was told "we can't do that. this line is for emergencies."

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 am

atici wrote:
niknak wrote: Don't "ask for information" - say that you are verifying the address they have on file for your number
I did and I was told "we can't do that. this line is for emergencies."
It sounds like you just called 911 instead of calling their non-emergency number and scheduling a test.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Quicksprj

Post by Quicksprj » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Just a side point that may be an issue for some folks. I was unable to call home from work because I have to dial a 9 to get an outside line and I had on my anonymous call block checked to go straight to voice mail. I am unable to dial a *82 either before or after the 9. I work for a large police department in Colorado. I went and spoke to the dispatch supervisor about my issue since I am on call occasionally and wanted to know if they would have the same issue of not being able to get ahold of me because of the dialing 9 first issue. The dispatch supervisor said all Police dispatch phones including 911 lines are blocked so they would not have the ability to call me at my ooma number. I asked if I called 911 and then for some reason was disconnected during the call the police department would have no way to call my ooma number back. He said they have had a few cases where the number would not accept a blocked caller id but gave the option to unblock it or put in the ten digit number calling from and were able to call the individual back. If it a real big concern you can easily unchecked the anonymous caller block function. Just wanted to let folks know.

Im not sure how many police agencies around are like this one but this could be a safety concern for some people. For those who have a concern it would probably be best to turn off anonymous call block until something can be added or a work around can be found.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 pm

That is interesting as I live in Colorado... If you don't mind me asking, where in Colorado do you work (and what area do you service). I'm in Loveland and am pretty sure that all our emergency calls go to Larimer County dispatch? A lot of services have anonymous block so I'm surprised this hasn't come up sooner!

Thanks,
Aaron
Go AVS!

Quicksprj

Post by Quicksprj » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Colorado Springs Police Dept.

mcbleu

Post by mcbleu » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:02 pm

As I posted in another tread I thought this may be of help

Good day, all

I don't know if this has already been posted
but I see many people afraid of not having access to 911

a simple backup plan --> Unactivated cell phones can call 911

- make sure you have signal at your location
- and have a charger plug it in so, the day you have an emergency and want to use it, you realise that the battery is dead and you cannot find the charger.

"""A lot of people don't know this, but even unactivated cell phones can call 911. It's not a bad idea to have one in your car or house, in case your other phone(s) aren't working for some reason and there's an emergency. """"

I'm in love with ooma , the only grief I wish I had known before about this incredible system.