Call From Myself???

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
hpepper
Re: Call From Myself???

Post by hpepper » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 am

Yep - I confirmed that indeed works. I spoofed my home number at work in my work PBX (I'm in the telecom department) and called home. I had complete access without putting in a pin and could even change my pin or any other administrative things including listening to voice-mails.

Ooma needs to fix this.

scots

Post by scots » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 pm

tkramer wrote:Maybe someone trying to bother you... Check out spoofcard.com
I have had friends call me at work with my home number.

This could easily be used by telesolicitors or stalkers or jerk friends :-)
I don't have any friends who would do something like that, and no stalkers or jerk friends.

Anyway...it doesn't matter who's doing it, NOBODY should be able to call with my number as their caller ID and have complete and unrestricted access to my voicemail. That's a HUGE security breach. I never get voicemails with sensitive information in them, but I'm sure some people do. This is nothing but a lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone is going to spoof caller ID and hear a voicemail message that they're not supposed to. ooma's servers/voicemail system should be able to detect if the call is being made from the Hub or if it's an external call, and require a PIN if it's an external call.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:18 am

Looks like cell phone companies who have this problem are dealing with it by allowing the user to require a PIN entry even for calls placed from the user's phone. This solution could be a problem for Ooma as it may make checking VM from the hub or scout play button impossible. So detection of whether the call originates from the hub or not may be the only option for Ooma.