ANSWERED: use your second line (Scout+Prmere) to dial out

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
amigo108
ANSWERED: use your second line (Scout+Prmere) to dial out

Post by amigo108 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

I have the scout and a second number assigned to my account. Incoming calls on either line ring to my phone but outbound calls are all routed on the primary line. I want to be able to make outgoing calls on both lines if I can.

I have 2 pair wiring through my whole house and can feed either the first or second set independently (so I can have a line 1 and a line 2) Until tomorrow, I have the VOIP line that I had through Comcast cable feeding that second pair (orange/orange white) currently on my 2 line phones. I get the ooma tone on line one and the regular dial tone on line 2.

I wanted to replace that line 2 with my second line through ooma after Comcast disconnects their the cable VOIP phone line and swap out my modem tomorrow. But upon experimenting on hooking the scout up to a third line or seperate/Independent telephone, it seems that everything still goes through line 1 (primary ooma line) and that the second line/number that ooma assigned to me can only be used for incoming calls.

Is there a way to have both ooma lines act independently (incomeing and outgoing ringing to different phone lines?

THanks,
David
Last edited by amigo108 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Re: How can you use your second line (Scout+Prmere) to dial out

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Assign your second number to a scout and it will only ring on the phone connected to the scout. It will not ring when the first number is called.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

amigo108

Post by amigo108 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

murphy wrote:Assign your second number to a scout and it will only ring on the phone connected to the scout. It will not ring when the first number is called.
It is assigned to the scout (or it's SUPPOSED to be as that's how I set it up but I'll double check the assignement). So that will take care of the incoming calls. What about outgoing, anyway to make an outgoing call on that second line (it would be beneficial to have that second line caller ID # also appear to whoever I'm calling).

BTW, I tried hitting flash to access the second line on the hub and dialed out to my cell phone but it appears it is still showing up as the line 1 number.

Edit: After checking my account I found that the second line wasn't assigned to the scout. I fixed it and though I haven't checked it yet I should now be able to at least direct incoming calls where I want them. I still need to figure out how to make an outgoing call using second (virtual) line if it can be done.
Last edited by amigo108 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Don't confuse the line 1 and line 2 buttons with the two phone numbers. They are not related. The first call will always use physical line 1. It doesn't matter whether it is being made from the hub or the scout. A second simultaneous call will use physical line 2.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 am

To use the 2nd phone number to make a call, press **1 on your keypad and then dial the number you want to call.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:57 am

Here's more info:
If you have multiple phone numbers and wish to display a different phone number than your default number, press "**" followed by the number assigned to the phone number you wish to display. For example, if you have three ooma phone numbers and you wish to display the third, you would dial **3 followed by the number you are calling. This will cause the number to be displayed even if you've set your privacy setting to block outbound caller-ID. To find out the numbers assigned to each of your ooma phone numbers, visit the Preferences/Phone Numbers page.

amigo108

Post by amigo108 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:44 am

Well, after a bunch of head scratching I called Ooma tech support and it appears they had the serial number of the scout entered wrong. So now it works fine.

I have a cord going directly from the hub to the scout and the line from the scout to a punchblock that feeds the whole house on the second pair. The only bad thing is that I have to have the scout near the punch panel in the basement so that I can wire it right to that second pair (plugging right into the wall will default feed the first pair which I want dedicated to my primary phone.

So now that everything works like I want, I will get a line splitter (the kind that separates line one from line 2) so that I can plug the scout into the wall in the line 2 plug. Then I can put the hub and scout up where it's easier to check the v-mail.

For anyone who has the same problem ( I already got one email from another board member with the same issue) the ooma rep I spoke with who got he serial number changed on my account was named Tan Juna.