Could scout work for Dish TV hookup?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
rob
Could scout work for Dish TV hookup?

Post by rob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Disappointingly, after receiving my Ooma today, I read in the manual that the system is NOT recommended for satelite TV systems. I only need to allow the Dish TV receiver to dial out periodically (at night when the phone is otherwise not being used).

Has anyone tried and got this to work? Is it possible? I don't want to maintain a land line just for that. I thought Ooma would allow that, since it claims to work with fax machines.

Aveamantium

Re: Could scout work for Dish TV hookup?

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:33 pm

It will likely work if you connect to the hub as opposed to the scout. However, YMMV... Also, if you have issues try having the Dish dial *99 as a prefix since this will force the ooma to use a non-compressed codec that may be more successful. All you can do is give it a try and see if it works! :)

Welcome to Ooma!!
Go AVS!

but2002

Post by but2002 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Do NOT use the scout for such purposes. It generates too much static on outgoing calls for the signal to be clear enough.

The HUB will more than likely work, especially if you set your dialing prefix to *99

rob

Post by rob » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Well, the Dish TV receiver is in one room, and the hub is in another room (with the broadband/router).

I run a cordless phone system into the hub right now. Could I run a standard telephone wire from the Dish TV receiver into the room with the hub, and then use a "two into one" phone connector (letting you plug two phones into one jack and included with the Ooma package) and then plug the Dish TV phone plug and the cordless system plug both into the hub?

I'm pretty sure the Dish TV receiver lets you have it dial a prefix when dialing out.
Last edited by rob on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Sure can!

Wayne

ChiefBonesAlum

Post by ChiefBonesAlum » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm in a boat similar to you Rob - but I'm a DirecTV customer. From what I've read, if my DirecTV box has Internet connectivity (which mine does), it should be able to "phone home" that way, and the telephone line isn't really necessary (although DirecTV tells you they require it). I haven't tested it out though. I don't know if Dish can connect in the same way, but that may be something to consider.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 am

rob wrote:Disappointingly, after receiving my Ooma today, I read in the manual that the system is NOT recommended for satelite TV systems.
It's not recommended for satellite internet systems. ie. for people that get their internet service via satellite. The path delay for those systems is too large. As long as you have cable, DSL, or FIOS internet service you are fine.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

daet

Post by daet » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 am

murphy wrote:
rob wrote:Disappointingly, after receiving my Ooma today, I read in the manual that the system is NOT recommended for satelite TV systems.
It's not recommended for satellite internet systems. ie. for people that get their internet service via satellite. The path delay for those systems is too large. As long as you have cable, DSL, or FIOS internet service you are fine.
You've misunderstood the post . Rob isn't getting his internet service over satellite. He has DishTV - a satellite TV service, which periodically needs to dial home, and wants to know whether the ooma scout can be used to make those calls. As WayneDsr pointed out, the answer is yes. Works over the hub, and over the scout - make sure the telephone wiring in your house is in good shape.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 am

daet wrote:
murphy wrote:
You've misunderstood the post . Rob isn't getting his internet service over satellite. He has DishTV - a satellite TV service, which periodically needs to dial home, and wants to know whether the ooma scout can be used to make those calls. As WayneDsr pointed out, the answer is yes. Works over the hub, and over the scout - make sure the telephone wiring in your house is in good shape.

DG
I did not misunderstand the post. He cited the paragraph in the manual that says that ooma does not work with satellite internet as if he believed that it applied to satellite TV, which it does not.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:54 am

rob wrote:Well, the Dish TV receiver is in one room, and the hub is in another room (with the broadband/router).

I run a cordless phone system into the hub right now. Could I run a standard telephone wire from the Dish TV receiver into the room with the hub, and then use a "two into one" phone connector (letting you plug two phones into one jack and included with the Ooma package) and then plug the Dish TV phone plug and the cordless system plug both into the hub?

I'm pretty sure the Dish TV receiver lets you have it dial a prefix when dialing out.
As an alternate to an exposed telephone wire running from room to room, you can use an otherwise unused wire pair in your home wiring to extend the hub's phone port to another room - there's lots of how-to's regarding that on the forum.