Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
flapjack
Re: Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Post by flapjack » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm a new ooma customer. I just set up, but don't have an analog phone to test (been using a Packet8 true IP phone). I am also interested in integrating ooma via SIP.

My primary goal is to use Windows Mobile 6.5's VOIP dialing ability. With a properly written configuration file (including all the SIP login info), you can use a VOIP dialer to dial over 3g or WiFi instead of burning up your cell phone minutes.

I'm also interested in integrating ooma with Google Voice.

Really looking forward to SIP-related features, as I'm also considering setting up an Asterisk server on my domain.

Hopefully, ooma doesn't go the route of other VOIP providers and lock down their SIP info (8x8, if you're listening, this is why I left!).

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 am

flapjack wrote:I'm a new ooma customer. I just set up, but don't have an analog phone to test (been using a Packet8 true IP phone). I am also interested in integrating ooma via SIP.

My primary goal is to use Windows Mobile 6.5's VOIP dialing ability. With a properly written configuration file (including all the SIP login info), you can use a VOIP dialer to dial over 3g or WiFi instead of burning up your cell phone minutes.

I'm also interested in integrating ooma with Google Voice.

Really looking forward to SIP-related features, as I'm also considering setting up an Asterisk server on my domain.

Hopefully, ooma doesn't go the route of other VOIP providers and lock down their SIP info (8x8, if you're listening, this is why I left!).
You might want to read the earlier posts to this thread for some answers. Bobby B is from ooma and you can take his answers as VERY accurate. And Google Voice integration is just around the corner with Premier Extensiions for Google Voice. You can read about it in the blog (navigation is at the bottom of this page). Look for the post by Dennis P.

Welcome to ooma!

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:28 am

My apologies, but I did read the entire thread, paying particular attention to Bobby B's posts.

My question was a fairly new one, in that having the SIP info could allow me to dial from a windows mobile phone over WiFi or 3g.

I did express a desire for Google Voice integration. I know it is "around the corner"... I just that's not what is usually means when companies say it.

Nothing bad against ooma, I've just learned that many companies don't deliver what they promise. I hope ooma is different, as I bought the system based on the press release from back in March. It's August now, and we're still hearing "around the corner". GV is no longer in beta. It's the real deal.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 am

I believe ooma does lock down their SIP at this time. That's what the older posts state.

In September, ooma is rolling out a new Lounge with the inclusion of Google Voice.

Being a customer of ooma I have never seen them back out of a commitment, maybe later than the originally suggested, but they always come through.

Wayne

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:47 am

WayneDsr wrote:I believe ooma does lock down their SIP at this time. That's what the older posts state.

In September, ooma is rolling out a new Lounge with the inclusion of Google Voice.

Being a customer of ooma I have never seen them back out of a commitment, maybe later than the originally suggested, but they always come through.

Wayne
I did notice that their SIP info is locked down currently... most VOIP providers do. It's just frustrating that there is so much potential out there regarding SIP's open nature. There are security issues as well, which I would hope is the main reason providers aren't opening up the SIP info (I certainly hope it's not a profit issue).

I would like Bobby B's take on this, if he's still watching the topic...

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 am

...There are security issues as well, which I would hope is the main reason providers aren't opening up the SIP info...
exactly!

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:01 am

If you had the SIP info associated with your account - so that you can use a wifi phone or setup an asterisk server, wouldn't you then be able to supply that info to someone else and they would then be able to make free calls using your account info? Seems like no VoIP provider would supply the info then.

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 am

bw1 wrote:If you had the SIP info associated with your account - so that you can use a wifi phone or setup an asterisk server, wouldn't you then be able to supply that info to someone else and they would then be able to make free calls using your account info? Seems like no VoIP provider would supply the info then.
That's a decent argument, but there are many paid services that could be placed in the same category. A good example would be Sling. One could pay for cable, then allow others to log on and view their cable when they're not home. It's probably a violation of the terms of service, which places the "burden of proof" on the service provider.

Under that same argument, would I not be allowed to let someone use my cell phone if I traveled out of the country for a day? Am I paying for unlimited nationwide calling for Ooma for just me, or anyone in my household? Can guests at my house use my phone?

You see where I'm going with this? That mentality opens up a whole can of worms. Just like any other "fair usage" clause that ISPs or cell phone providers include in their terms of agreement, it is up to them to determine whether or not I'm violating it. Obviously, if I've made 10,000 minutes of calls a month, Ooma should have some sort of mechanism to at least trigger a letter or phone call to me, the account holder. That wouldn't imply guilt... it would just point out something that may be an abuse of service.

This happens all the time with cable providers and people with unsecure WAPs. Your neighbor logs on and visits kiddie pr0n sites, downloads terabytes of torrents, then you get a nasty letter from the ISP.

These things DO matter to me. I've helped people secure their WAPs. I've shown how I can bust WEP in under a minute using a bootable Linux distro on a laptop. Even WPA is susceptible to dictionary attacks.

The point is, no service is 100% secure. Who's to say that like WAPs, Ooma cannot be hacked? I may not have access to my SIP information, but if someone were to hack my Ooma through my network. I'd like to know if someone was using my account. The same would be true if I were to integrate it with an Asterisk server (which I would like to do some day).

This is a good discussion. Maybe someone at Ooma will see this and take some of the points of this "debate" into consideration.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am

There's a big difference between letting someone use your cell phone (with minutes which have already been paid for) and setting up an asterisk server

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 am

niknak wrote:There's a big difference between letting someone use your cell phone (with minutes which have already been paid for) and setting up an asterisk server
Yes, but my reply used much more than that as an example.

Did you even read the whole thing before chiming in? No offense, but your replies have been kinda lacking in content, ie:
"exactly!"
I'm sure you have some valid arguments, but I'd like to understand why you seem so against Ooma opening up SIP for advanced users. I'd even be willing to sign up for the premium package to get this functionality. I just don't see a reasonable business argument to NOT allow this functionality, though I'm willing to debate the issue.