Installation Configuration

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
technogranny
Installation Configuration

Post by technogranny » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:39 pm

I haven't set up yet; but question what the manual shows. I have fiber optics, ATT U-Verse with the Modem in Bridged config so as not to interfere with the voice service. I currently use Packet 8 (8X*8) and their gateway plugs into my Modem and into my phone & that's it. Why does the Ooma gateway installation call for the computer to be wired thru the Ooma gateway & not just have the Computer and the Ooma gateway connect each independently to the Modem? My Modem has pleanty of spare plug-in Ethernet ports.

WayneDsr

Re: Installation Configuration

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 pm

That is the ooma prefered way.
However, you can plug ooma into your router, as you would a pc and all will work fine. Any adjustments for quality would be done via your router instead of the ooma hub.
This is the way I'm set up and it works just fine.

Wayne

niknak

Post by niknak » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm

I agree with Wayne. Lots of folks here just plug the ooma into a router. Especially since you have a fiber optic connection, you'll have stable, highspeed bandwidth and won't even need to adjust QOS

technogranny

Post by technogranny » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:06 pm

niknak wrote:I agree with Wayne. Lots of folks here just plug the ooma into a router. Especially since you have a fiber optic connection, you'll have stable, highspeed bandwidth and won't even need to adjust QOS
Thanx Guys!! I really prefer to keep my computer out of the mix, if it'll work.. I guess if I wind up having a problem with the voice quality, I can always go back & change the config..No biggie.