How do I install Ooma BEHIND my Linksys router?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
rob
How do I install Ooma BEHIND my Linksys router?

Post by rob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:06 am

Recently got Ooma and to simplify things, first installed Ooma directly into my cable modem, then had the "home" port go to my router. Thus, Ooma sits in between my cable modem and my router (first in line). Everything works fine and I love my Ooma.

However, I found that some ports were being blocked by Ooma this way that my computer and programs could not use even though they were opened on my router.

Therefore, I want to try to place Ooma "behind" my router, so I have the cable modem plugged into the router, and then Ooma plugged into my Linksys router.

However, this so far does not work for me. I plugged the cable modem into the "internet" port on my Linksys router. Then Ooma is plugged into the router. I plugged the cable into the "Modem" port on the Ooma.

Internet is working fine, computers can access (I rebooted everything so the router and cable modem are correct. However when I turn on Ooma, the indicator flashes red, and the 4 buttons remain red (1, 2 trash, and envelope).

Can someone help me get Ooma working when its "behind" the router? Do I have to open ports? I use a Linksys 54gl running DD-WRT and everything else works fine.

1. Does the cable from the router plug into the Ooma at "modem" or "home"?

2. Do I have to set certain ports for port forwarding?

Thanks for any help from someone who uses Ooma "behind" their router.

rob

Re: How do I install Ooma BEHIND my Linksys router?

Post by rob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 am

OK, I got it figured out. Had to assign static IP to the Ooma device. Working fine again.