I can't call a toll-free number

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
niknak
Re: I can't call a toll-free number

Post by niknak » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:30 am

most businesses with toll free numbers also have toll numbers. since ooma long distance is free anyway why not call the toll number until the (obvious) problem is resolved

csriram45

Post by csriram45 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 am

Ok. I too was trying to call a 1877 number for a work related call and realized it was not working. I hope Ooma fixes the issue. Is it an outage or a general problem?

I do remember being able to call other toll free #s without any problem. before. Not sure if its just a temporary problem

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:51 am

Just tried dialing my bank's 800# and an 866 number in Oklahoma and both worked fine I did have the problem earlier but it seems to be resolved at least here in NY

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am

It's now resolved in Sacramento, CA as well.

macint2002

Post by macint2002 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 am

I ran into this "issue" (note I did not say "problem" as it may not be) on one toll free number and it returned call cannot be completed. Luckily it returned a code. I was in Massachusetts, the toll free number was coded for Inside Massachusetts only by the owner. Ooma was initiating the call for me in, I believe, New Hampshire, therefor, it would not work. The other phone number provided for people outside of Massachusetts worked fine.

VoiceIP type services will initiate calls where technology dictates, less congestion or QOS, nearest center to the call being placed, etc. I believe, if you look at other voice ip providers you may see similar issues.

OOma, to date (eight months), has given me no regrets, using cable broadband, The first day I hooked it up I had a little echo on the first two calls. After that, none (probably routing/QOS tables being updated). I kept my land line service on stand-by for 45 days, then made the switch. I've called many toll free numbers without issue (ones coded for national service). I even routinely fax out with this (only had to change some quality settings on the multifunction printer). I use efax for inbound.

The coding of toll free numbers belongs to the owner and what they are willing to pay for. You can also have a toll free number pointed at your one home phone line, but, when you reach the capacity of the system receiving the call and they are all in use, you will receive a busy signal. In the case of a home phone, only one call can be in use all else will get a busy signal or other response depending on the telco carrier for the 800 service.

There could be routing table issues within OOma that come an go and am not even sure how OOma handles toll free from local service. If they are indeed at fault, I am sure it is on their plate for improvement. I do know that I stumbled upon OOma for VoIP and am very happy with it.

We call CA, FL, DE, MI on a regular basis for a big fat zero. For spending a little over $200 (hub & scout) and presently eight months of no $48 per month, let's see..I believe that I put a very big dent in the cost of internet and cable TV to bring it down to about $25-30.

I do strongly recommend having a cell phone or other immediate access to a phone line should an emergency occur.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:26 am

I dial 800/866/877/888 numbers all the time with ooma and have not problems... (including the toll free number I dialed to call AT&T to cancel my service :) )

Ah...just read the post above mine... so the issue is nationwide toll free versus local toll free... Not sure I have ever had the opportunity to try a local toll free call (restricted by state or otherwise)...
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 am

I think this was a temporary outage that is now fixed. Could bluechalk confirm if toll-free calling is now working for him?

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm the original poster on this thread. This happened on my very first call to a toll-free number. I'm happy to report that its working now. I can now call toll-free numbers. But, I am a little annoyed that when I called customer service, they told me that ooma does not support calls to toll-free numbers, and I should not expect it to work.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Fixed for me as well.

Thanks ooma.

Wayne

inspectorgene

Post by inspectorgene » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 am

Had a weird thing just happen.

Couldn't reach an 800 number via ooma, then tried regular landline, and then cell phone.

It was out on all 3 lines...

May have been just this one number, and now it is working, but it was just odd.

Oh well...