Confused: Am I hearing ooma or the landline

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dtalwar
Re: Confused: Am I hearing ooma or the landline

Post by dtalwar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I have my landline configured just like WayneDSR's ... as a failsafe mechanism, but it is not integrated. In this configuration, doing niknak's test will still give you the dialtone, but it will be your landline's not Ooma's. It will be missing the Ooma jingle.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 am

niknak wrote:It sounds like you didn't integrate your landline with ooma since you chose a new number and then another new number while keeping your landline separate.

putting the most basic service on the landline is a good idea

a way to check would be to unplug the cat5 cable from the hub, then pick up the phone connected to the hub - if you have a dialtone then the landline is integrated, if you have no dialtone, then the ooma is stand alone
As others pointed out, that check won't work, since the Ooma will automatically fail over to the landline and supply the landline dialtone to all the phones connected to the Ooma hub's phone port.

However, he can check by unplugging the phone cord connecting the phone jack on the wall of his house to the wall port on the Ooma hub. If the landline is integrated, the Ooma hub will go out of service and the tab will change from blue to flashing red and the play and fast forward buttons will turn solid red.

I think you're right that he didn't integrate since he selected a new number.

lesag002

Post by lesag002 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:26 am

BW1

Ok. When I make a call, I get the Ooma connection tone and dialtone before dialing a number, but I don't get the connection tone again when the other party answers my call. What does that mean?

I called customer service and told them I wanted to be sure that I was making calls over the internet, not my landline, to truely evaluate the VoIP call quality. So, he told me how to create another phone number in the lounge and said that any calls made/received on that number will be through the Ooma internet service, providing the means to evaluate the VoIP call quality. So, I've done this, I get the Ooma dial tone (but, again, don't get the connection tone when the other party picks up), and calls sound great. So I'm assuming these are VoIP calls. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Mark

bw1 wrote:In the Ooma lounge under preferences -> system, you can enable or disable the Ooma Connection Tone. The default is Enabled. You can click on the speaker icon to hear what it sounds like.

That connection tone is played whenever you make a call that is using Ooma and placed through your internet connection instead of through your landline. You'll hear the tone twice, once when you first dial the number and again when the call is connected.

This allows you to know when a call is made through Ooma or not and you should probably keep it enabled while you're testing with an integrated landline.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 am

If you have the connection turned on in the lounge, and don't hear the connection tone when your called party answers, your call is over the land line. The tone you hear when you pick up the phone is the ooma dial tone. It can not be disabled.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lesag002

Post by lesag002 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 am

If I call home via the alternate ooma number (not my landline number) from my office at work, is that call going through an ooma internet connection?

If not, how could calling the alternate ooma number be connected through my landline, if I'm not calling the landline number?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:55 am

lesag002 wrote:If I call home via the alternate ooma number (not my landline number) from my office at work, is that call going through an ooma internet connection?
Yes, it is.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lesag002

Post by lesag002 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:06 am

Ok Thanks.

How can I disable/avoid an outbound call from connecting via the landline, in essence forcing an outbound call to go over a VoIP internet connection?

I have the ooma connection tone enabled (always have), but don't hear it when the other party picks up. So, I want to force a VoIP connection (bypass the landline) so I can hear the ooma connection tone to make sure I have a VoIP connection.

Come to think of it. Can I just delete my account and start all over (re-activate), taking my landline totally out of the equation? That would be much more straightforward. Guess I gotta call customer service for that eh?

atici

Post by atici » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 am

lesag002 wrote: Come to think of it. Can I just delete my account and start all over (re-activate), taking my landline totally out of the equation? That would be much more straightforward. Guess I gotta call customer service for that eh?
Yes, I think that's the best :D It really makes things simpler. If you still need landline for more reliable 911 etc. just leave a phone hooked up.

You need to call support.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:13 am

Yes, you have to call CS and tell them that you want to switch from an integrated land line to no land line.

lesag002

Post by lesag002 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:40 am

If I switch to no-landline ooma service, will the Scout still work correctly if I still have landline service on my phone jacks?

Sorry if this is covered in the installation instructions, I just don't have time to look it up right now.

Thanks