Cable questions post here!

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kumoni
Cable questions post here!

Post by kumoni » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 pm

I have been with Time Warner Cable for 12 years. I install and service internet and phone for 10 years. If you have any questions reguarding your service "if it could be a cable problem" post them here. I will be more than happy to help out.

stick2basics

Re: Cable questions post here!

Post by stick2basics » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am

Is the cable company doing anything to filter/block VoiP from any compnay other than their own?

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 am

I know you might not be asking about Ooma VOIP specifically - but I thought I read somewhere that Ooma creates a VPN from your hub to their servers, so technically, ISPs can't tell that Ooma is being used... not sure though.

kumoni

Post by kumoni » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:37 pm

I know Time Warner is not. Basically we are wide open.

Xusia

Post by Xusia » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:22 am

I think I have a cable problem, and so does Ooma. No matter what I do I can not install my hub behind my modem supplied by Time Warner back in April (it's a Motorola SB4100, I think). So I went to plan B and installed it behind my router. That set up worked fine for a little while, but now I get a flashing red tab twice a day. I'm thinking this wouldn't happen if my set up was like Ooma says it should be, so I called tech support. But after talking to them for nearly 1 1/2 hours, they said there's a firewall or something on the modem and I should call Time Warner to remove it. I'm skeptical of that diagnosis because Sun Rocket's gizmo and Packet 8's adapter had no problem connecting directly to the modem, albeit a modem issued somewhere in between 2001 and 2005, but the same make and model. Now I'm right back to where I started before I called Ooma.

I doesn't make sense to stick with a system that fails twice a day, but I don't want to give up just yet because the quality is better then Packet 8, the price is unbeatable and I believe there's got to be a solution to this problem. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Update: I called Time Warner and had them do a modem reset from their end, that didn't work. Then I asked them if there was a firewall that's blocking Ooma and of course they said there is not.

Xusia

Post by Xusia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:09 am

A week's gone by and Kumoni is as much help as Ooma tech support. The adage is true, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 am

In the Hub's setup > network page select "Use Built in" under "MODEM Port MAC Address" and click Update. Connect the Hub's Modem port to your modem, reboot the modem then the Hub.

sbdarnell

Post by sbdarnell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 am

My ooma is working perfectly with Time Warner Cable. I have Cable with Turbo Boost so My average down is 20mb and my average up is close to 2mb. My proble is that when I am on my Ooma line. My internet speed slows to a crawl and I cannot understand this with the amout of overhead I have. As soon as I hang up my line, the internet speed returns to normal. I have it set up this way. Cable Modem to OOMA Hub - Linskys - WRT600N Router
Any suggesitons
Thanks

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am

sbdarnell wrote:My ooma is working perfectly with Time Warner Cable. I have Cable with Turbo Boost so My average down is 20mb and my average up is close to 2mb. My proble is that when I am on my Ooma line. My internet speed slows to a crawl and I cannot understand this with the amout of overhead I have. As soon as I hang up my line, the internet speed returns to normal. I have it set up this way. Cable Modem to OOMA Hub - Linskys - WRT600N Router
Any suggesitons
Thanks
Check out this link https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ty-service
However go ahead and enter both the upload and download speeds into the appropriate fields. Seems as if entering "0" (supposed to disable Qos for that direction) doesn't seem to work too well. Also, as you've found out already, the Qos only works when a call is taking place.
Go AVS!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 am

sbdarnell wrote:My ooma is working perfectly with Time Warner Cable. I have Cable with Turbo Boost so My average down is 20mb and my average up is close to 2mb. My proble is that when I am on my Ooma line. My internet speed slows to a crawl and I cannot understand this with the amout of overhead I have. As soon as I hang up my line, the internet speed returns to normal. I have it set up this way. Cable Modem to OOMA Hub - Linskys - WRT600N Router
Any suggesitons
Thanks
Having both the Hub and the Telo, one thing I've noticed is that the Telo's QoS for downsteam seems to have a much lower effect on bandwidth during a call with the same settings. This doesn't help you since you already have the Hub, but it may be a consideration for those who are trying to make up their minds which to buy. In any case, as Aveamantium noted the QoS impact on bandwidth with the Ooma Hub is only while a call is in progress.