Setting Up VM 1st Time

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rangerlg
Setting Up VM 1st Time

Post by rangerlg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 am

I just set up my Ooma core last night. Everything worked fine. I tried to follow the directions to set up VM. I pick up my phone and press the Play button. The message says to enter my 10 digit number. I do that and press #. Then it asks for a PIN. I have not set up a PIN nor do I know what it is. This is a new number I got from Ooma. I do not get any instructions on setting up the VM service. Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

Aveamantium

Re: Setting Up VM 1st Time

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:56 am

Is it asking what you want for a pin number? This would be the access code that you would use to access VM remotely.
Go AVS!

rangerlg

Post by rangerlg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:02 am

No, it is asking what I want, it is asking me to "Enter Your PIN and press #." I tried using the last four digits of my home number, and it says "Incorrect PIN." It acts like the system has already been set up, but I did not set it.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:07 am

Welcome to Ooma and the forums!

On page 14 of the user manual, you were supposed to set up your VM and PIN:
FROM THE USER MANUAL
Initial Setup
Pick up a home phone then press the Play Button on the associated ooma Hub or ooma Scout device. Follow the instructional voice prompts to set up your Broadband Answering Machine. The system will walk you through setting up your PIN, recording your name, and recording your greeting. The whole process takes approximately two minutes to complete.

Maybe try resetting the hub and then follow the above directions - if that doesn't work, call Ooma support.

rangerlg

Post by rangerlg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:45 am

Thanks for the welcome. By resetting the Hub, do you mean power cycle? If so, then I have done that. I will have to call them when I get home. Like I said, it almost seems like the VM was already set up so I'm wondering if this was one of those weird instances when the number had just recently been vacated and the VM wasn't cleared. Or maybe I'm just screwing up. :)

thbjr

Post by thbjr » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:53 am

I think the reset refered to is the reset where you disconrct power for 30 seconds. Before reconnection power, press down the Ooma tab, the tab that turns from red to blue when all is well, and hold it down while reconnecting the power. Continue to hold down the tab for 30 seconds. This will do a hard reset of the hub and will take several minutes to complete.
hope that works for you.

rangerlg

Post by rangerlg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks, will give it a try when I get home.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:13 am

I meant reset to factory default settings.

To do this, unplug the hub for 5 minutes, hold down the blue/red ooma tab (yes it is a switch). Plug ooma power back in while holding down the ooma tab and continue to hold it down for about 30 seconds. This should reset ooma to factory default.

rangerlg

Post by rangerlg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Well, the reset did not help. I have a ticket opened with support. We'll see what happens.

Update:

I tried the VM last night and this time I heard a "Welcome" when it started playing. I was able to set up my system. Not sure if Ooma corrected something or if it cleared itself, but it works now. Thanks all.

Mac007

That worked like a charm!

Post by Mac007 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:12 am

I was just about to ask this question but the answer here really helped. Perhaps it should be in the FAQ if it isn't already. Thanks anyway. :D