Actiontec gateway and setting up Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dzjepp
Actiontec gateway and setting up Ooma

Post by dzjepp » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 am

Hello,

I have an Actiontec GT724WGR acting as my gateway (it's a DSL modem/4 port router/wireless combo) for my dry-loop AT&T DSL (midwest).

I first connected the Actiontec to my computer to get it to connect to the internet. It worked ok. Then I connected the Ooma hub to the Actiontec according to the manual and it works ok too (the scout works too). I have a question or two though:

- Right now I can't login to my Actiontec via browser, without Ooma hooked up I can login ok. I wonder if it's an issue that both my Actiontec and Ooma hub are using different DHCP settings.

- Can I setup Ooma to use the same DHCP settings as my gateway? Do I need both devices to have DHCP settings?

- I want to use the gateway to setup QoS rules for all my devices, can I use it to setup Ooma hub QoS, instead of using setup.ooma.com to setup Ooma QoS?

Is there a good guide for setting up QoS for internet use?

That's it for now, thank you

Groundhound

Re: Actiontec gateway and setting up Ooma

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:03 am

Lots of questions, starting with the first one. Is your computer connected directly to your router or is it connected to the Ooma hub's home port? If connected to the hub, switch it to the router (you did say it was 4-port?). That should clear up access to the router login issue. At that point you will find that you will not be able to access http://setup.ooma.com, but you can get around that by using the IP your router assigns to the hub to access the hub's setup.

dzjepp

Post by dzjepp » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Ok thanks I did that (Gateway login works) however now I can't login to Ooma setup (default 172.27.35.1) Ooma does not show up in my Gateways connected devices (should it?) Gateway has UPNP/NAT enabled firewall disabled.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Just had this situation with my setup. Check your gateway to see what IP address was assigned to your ooma hub and write it down. Then connect a pc to the home port of the hub, go to the advanced configuration page at setup.ooma.com and put 172.27.35.1 in the DMZ. Reconnect your computer to the gateway and reboot things - starting with the modem/gateway and finally the ooma hub. Your setup page will be available at the IP address you wrote down for the hub.

<<tommies or other experts - check and make sure this is correct. tommies got me working last week and I believe this is what he had me do.>>
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:42 pm

southsound wrote:Just had this situation with my setup. Check your gateway to see what IP address was assigned to your ooma hub and write it down. Then connect a pc to the home port of the hub, go to the advanced configuration page at setup.ooma.com and put 172.27.35.1 in the DMZ. Reconnect your computer to the gateway and reboot things - starting with the modem/gateway and finally the ooma hub. Your setup page will be available at the IP address you wrote down for the hub.

<<tommies or other experts - check and make sure this is correct. tommies got me working last week and I believe this is what he had me do.>>
That should do it!
dzjepp, while you are connected to the hub's home port, you can see what IP the router has assigned to it by looking at Status>Network>Modem. You should set up your router to assign the same IP (static) to the hub so the address you use to access the hub's setup doesn't change.