Phone not compatible with ooma?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
chicago410
Phone not compatible with ooma?

Post by chicago410 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:06 am

I'm using ooma in an office setting: it's plugged into my ethernet port, nothing is plugged into my inactive landline, and I plugged my office phone into the ooma. Ooma tab is blue, and I successfully listened to the first "Congratulations!" message, but I don't have a dialtone from my office phone.

Here's a picture of a phone similar to my office phone.
http://www.telefonix.co.uk/img/avaya4620phone.jpg

When I call my ooma number from my cell, the 1 blinks red, but the phone does not ring, and when I pick it up, it doesn't work. Is there any way to make my office phone work with the ooma or do I need to buy a new phone?

Thanks for any help!

murphy

Re: Phone not compatible with ooma?

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:12 am

That's an IP telephone.
You need a standard analog telephone to use with ooma.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:13 am

Make sure your phone is plugged into the hub's phone port and not the wall port.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:13 am

Your office phone is probably looking for the Avaya switch to do it's job. I don't believe ooma will work with it.

Try a regular phone and I'm sure it will work fine.

Wayne

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:18 am

That is definitely NOT an analog phone. It looks like an Avaya 4621SW IP phone. It is made to only work with an Avaya PBX. Get a plain old analog telephone to test it.

chicago410

Post by chicago410 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:09 am

WayneDsr wrote:Your office phone is probably looking for the Avaya switch to do it's job. I don't believe ooma will work with it.

Try a regular phone and I'm sure it will work fine.
Ah! I didn't know there was such a thing as an Avaya switch, but if this Avaya brand phones require something special in the phone jack, I guess that must be the problem. I'll bring another phone.

Btw, the picture of the phone was only similar. I couldn't see a model number anywhere on the phone because the bottom has some kind of base attached to it. It's probably not an IP phone, though, because my prior phone bill varied every month.

Thanks for all the help!

chicago410

Post by chicago410 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

murphy wrote:That's an IP telephone.
You need a standard analog telephone to use with ooma.
I was looking through pictures of different Avaya telephones. While I haven't seen any that look exactly like mine --- mine has an extra "messages" button in place of one of the ones on the top --- it looks like all of the Avaya phones with screens like that actually are IP phones. Which means that my university where I work was charging me $50 plus random amounts each month for a voip line. Somehow the high cost seemed more understandable if it were an analogue service.

Glad I won't have to pay that anymore. Hope this works.