whole house wiring busy signal

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
munirm
whole house wiring busy signal

Post by munirm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I have a problem when trying to wire the whole house with no scout. I am using the telephone jack to the wall. When I plug that in, line 1 turns on for a minute then turns off. While its on I can hear a dialtone on the other phones. But after it turns off, the other phones cannot get a new line and hear a busy signal instead. I had the whole house working with the temp number before I ported my number. Any ideas?

WayneDsr

Re: whole house wiring busy signal

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:34 pm

One suggestion would be to disconnect the old telco line from the rest of the house IF you are not using DSL.

Locate your telco box on the outside of your house and disconnect your old telco line (usually just a phone plug). This will assure you are not getting any signal or voltage from the telco side on your house wiring.

Wayne

munirm

Post by munirm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Wayne, that did the trick. I left it as is because next week I am getting dsl for the first time. What should I tell them when they come to install?

niknak

Post by niknak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:08 pm

What should I tell them when they come to install
You should tell they you want the DSL installed on the 2nd pair of wires on your CAT3 cable or on an unused pair of wires of your CAT5 cable.

You do not want the DSL signal to interfere with the house wiring that is giving you dialtone now

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm

I would also tag the line 1 wiring (white/blue) in the network interface box with a notice to NOT connect it to the telco network as it could damage your CPE (customer provided equipement). This will prevent future installers from connecting your ooma-powered wiring to the central office wiring. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:33 am

southsound wrote:I would also tag the line 1 wiring (white/blue) in the network interface box with a notice to NOT connect it to the telco network as it could damage your CPE (customer provided equipement). This will prevent future installers from connecting your ooma-powered wiring to the central office wiring. :cool:
good point from a telco insider!

inet-email

Post by inet-email » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Can I use the hub to make all my phones in my house work without using the scout?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:33 pm

inet-email wrote:Can I use the hub to make all my phones in my house work without using the scout? Also, my blue light went out on my hub - any thoughts?? My phone still is working though.
Yes to your first question. For your second question, assuming you still have service, check the dimmer dial on the right side of the Hub.

inet-email

Post by inet-email » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:35 pm

#1 - I will hook it up to my entire house - Thanks, I was scared to burn out the hub.
#2 - I located the dial and changed the brightness.

Thanks for your help and quick response.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:03 pm

inet-email wrote:#1 - I will hook it up to my entire house - Thanks, I was scared to burn out the hub.
Use the "Phone" port on your hub to distribute dialtone to your house wiring. Make sure that phone company voltage is not still on the wire by disconnecting the phone company wiring at the demark box(unplug the modular pigtail). If you're using DSL then you have to take care you don't disconnect your service, use a separate wire pair in your house wiring.