Keep having to reboot everything?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dietz
Keep having to reboot everything?

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:44 am

Just installed ooma two days ago and it works great - crystal clear calls compared to vonage! The problem is that I keep losing my internet access, but ooma will be working. If I reboot everything, everything works for a while. We have had storms in the area, but it seems weird that ooma continues to work while the internet stops.
Has anyone had problems like these?

tommies

Re: Keep having to reboot everything?

Post by tommies » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:05 am

What do you have, DSL or Cable? What are your setup?
The more detail, the better for other to help with your problem.

Welcome to ooma, you'll find this board a very helpfull place.
tommies

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:12 am

If Ooma is working then you have Internet access, but your computers cannot get to it. I suspect you are having a DHCP problem, but without more details regarding your configruation it will be tough to isolate. Could you take the time to explain more about your configuration before Ooma, and what you did to add Ooma?

Cheers,
Scott

dietz

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:15 am

I have cable, with the modem/ooma/router connections. Since the ooma keeps working and the internet completely stops, I've thought about moving the ooma past the router (I have a qos router), but don't really know how to set up the qos. I do like that the ooma takes priority over the internet with the current setup -

dietz

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:32 am

Lost access to the Internet again (ooma still working), I'll wait to hear from someone before I reboot everything again. I've never had this problem before. I lost access to the router when I lost access to the Internet.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 am

dietz wrote:Lost access to the Internet again (ooma still working), I'll wait to hear from someone before I reboot everything again. I've never had this problem before. I lost access to the router when I lost access to the Internet.
It's either a router problem or a computer problem. The ooma being ahead of the router could not prevent a computer connected to the router from accessing the router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dietz

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:24 am

My internet access keeps cycling off and on about every 30 minutes. If I reboot the router, I get immediate internet access. I'm guessing that there must be a setting in the router/ooma connection that is conflicting. The router is a DLink DIR-655 if that helps.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Although I don't know enough I wonder if this could be the auto MAC feature of the Hub causing issues?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:10 pm

scottlindner wrote:Although I don't know enough I wonder if this could be the auto MAC feature of the Hub causing issues?
Very possibly.
If you power up the cable modem first and then the ooma hub, the hub will register with the cable modem using it's default MAC address. If the router is turned on next and the ooma is set to auto, the ooma will grab the router's WAN MAC address and it's next transmission to the modem will cause a block because a cable modem locks to the first MAC address it sees and will not allow any other MAC address to work.

Use Built in:

Then restart everything hopefully for the last time.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dietz

Post by dietz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks guys - you were right! Using the built in mac address for the hub fixed the problem.
Thank you!