Assigning Phone Number to Device

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
gbcox
Assigning Phone Number to Device

Post by gbcox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm

I recently created a second phone number and now both of my numbers show up in the Lounge / Preferences / Phone Numbers section as shared. I would like to dedicate one number to the base unit and the other to a scout. I have gone through the "assign a device" dialogue and named both units. When I select "add a phone number" I am presented with the dialogue to create another number. How do I assign my existing numbers to the new device names I have created?

Thanks!

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Assigning Phone Number to Device

Post by Bobby B » Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 am

Hi gbcox, the mechanism for moving your phone numbers amongst personal devices and the shared pool should be available within the next 2-3 weeks (it's currently with the QA team). We know it's a limitation, and we are working diligently to get this phone number moving ability out into the lounge. If you wanted to be able to test out the feature, we may be able to assign you a temporary third number until the move phone number feature is ready for release.
gbcox wrote:I recently created a second phone number and now both of my numbers show up in the Lounge / Preferences / Phone Numbers section as shared. I would like to dedicate one number to the base unit and the other to a scout. I have gone through the "assign a device" dialogue and named both units. When I select "add a phone number" I am presented with the dialogue to create another number. How do I assign my existing numbers to the new device names I have created?

Thanks!
Bobby B

gbcox

Post by gbcox » Thu May 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks. I would be happy to test if that would be helpful. One other question regarding assigning phone numbers to specific devices: How are incoming calls handled when someone is on the line? Does it roll to the other number on the other device or does it go to voicemail? Can you still manually select whichever phone number you wish when dialing out by entering "**#" (where # is the number of the line, e.g. 0, 1, 2, etc.)?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu May 01, 2008 5:55 pm

So let's assume you have the ooma Hub and a Scout configured as your "Shared" devices and a second Scout configured as a personalized device. If you're on a call on the ooma Hub (part of the "Shared" devices), and a second call comes in, all phones connected to Shared ooma devices will ring.

The phone attached to the personalized Scout will not ring, but you can still answer the call, by picking up the phone and pressing the appropriate flashing line button.

Yep, you can still manually select which phone number will be used when dialing outbound from any shared or personalized device in the ooma System by dialing "**{#}" before the phone number dialed.
gbcox wrote:Thanks. I would be happy to test if that would be helpful. One other question regarding assigning phone numbers to specific devices: How are incoming calls handled when someone is on the line? Does it roll to the other number on the other device or does it go to voicemail? Can you still manually select whichever phone number you wish when dialing out by entering "**#" (where # is the number of the line, e.g. 0, 1, 2, etc.)?
Bobby B

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sat May 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Hey Bobby.... if you have a device assigned, say a scout, with a separate phone number and a phone plugged into THAT scout, will it automatically send that phone number if it is not the primary phone number? Would you have to press **1 to dial and send the second phone number if that is the one assigned to that scout? Not sure of the answer, but if the answer is that it will default to the primary number, perhaps a note to programmers for the next software release!?

John

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Sat May 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi John, if you create a personal device with your Scout and assign it a number, outgoing calls will use the number assigned to your personal device by default. If you have multiple numbers assigned to a personal device, you can set which number to use as the default outgoing number under "preferences->privacy"
Bobby B

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sat May 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Bobby - yep. Worked like a charm. Number assigned to scout automatically sent as caller ID when using a phone plugged into that scout.

Now trying to find out if I can have TWO scouts with the SAME assigned number??

Have a good Sunday.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:57 am

Hi John, at this time, you can only have the same number ring two ooma Scouts if they belong to the shared devices. We may support ringing of two ooma Scouts if they do not belong to the shared devices (e.g. defined as personal devices) in the future.
Bobby B

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Bobby... I have it now set up the way you noted - scouts in unassigned devices and hub in an assigned device. It works perfectly. Thanks to the SUNDAY support staff. In the future, same number ringing assigned scouts would be nice, but for now.. all is VERY good.

Thanks for the ideas.