Installation of ooma hub behind router with ATT CallVantage

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bbtimes3
Installation of ooma hub behind router with ATT CallVantage

Post by bbtimes3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I am porting from ATT CallVantage to ooma. I am attempting to install ooma in this configuration: modem -> router -> CallVantage DLink -> ooma hub. I can receive calls in this configuration but I am unable to make outgoing calls. This config will just be temporary until my existing CallVantage number is ported to ooma. Is this going to work or do I have to move either the DLink or the ooma hub?

tommies

Re: Installation of ooma hub behind router with ATT CallVantage

Post by tommies » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm

bbtimes3 wrote:I am porting from ATT CallVantage to ooma. I am attempting to install ooma in this configuration:
modem -> router -> CallVantage DLink -> ooma hub.
router: is this a regular router or a special one made for ATTCallVantage, brand/model

CallVantage DLink: is this a router or some thing else that provide the dial tone/similar to ooma

Can you plug the ooma hub into the router? There is a trick that would work about 90% of the time: changing the hub to use its build in MAC address for it MODEM port(can be done in Network Settings page)
tommies

bbtimes3

Post by bbtimes3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:01 pm

The DLink device is the CallVantage VOIP router. ATT recommends installing it before the router but it works fine behind it as well. I'll be replacing it as soon as my number gets ported over, so I'm hoping to be able to connect ooma behind the DLink and not have to change anything else.

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm

bbtimes3 wrote:The DLink device is the CallVantage VOIP router. ATT recommends installing it before the router but it works fine behind it as well. I'll be replacing it as soon as my number gets ported over, so I'm hoping to be able to connect ooma behind the DLink and not have to change anything else.
If I understand it right, after the port done, your will not need the DLind unless you plan to keep CallVantage service with a different number, and you might need to remove it from the LAN.

IMO, it is better to connect the ooma directly to the router--in pararell with the DLink--this way the two will work independent of each other.

Also try to chang ooma to use its build in MAC address.
tommies

bbtimes3

Post by bbtimes3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I can connect it parallel with the DLink at this time. I can't get a temporary ooma number assigned in my area, so I have to keep the CallVantage number until it gets ported over. I was hoping to route my calls from the DLink through ooma, then when the number was ported I would just remove the DLink. I might try reordering the devices to see if that helps.