Ooma doesn't work well

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dietz
Ooma doesn't work well

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:09 am

After numerous attempts through both the forum and the support number, it's time to return the ooma. It's too bad, I had given it every opportunity to work. I was supposedly escalated after numerous support calls (cs-16126) and was told that I would be contacted w/i 72 hours. Unfortunately, I was not contacted. When I called in again, I was put through the exact same troubleshooting routine - even though I told them that I had been through this many times and have had no success. The CS rep wouldn't verify it, but it appears that the case # that I was given was bogus. I was told again that a level 3 tech would call me - i'm not holding my breath.
I can talk to a CS rep relatively quickly, and they will have you run the same tests over and over, but can't ever seem to fix the problems. They like for you to constantly change your QOS numbers, and each rep has their own "magic combination", and none of them have worked.
Glad to hear that ooma works for so many of you, but apparently not for us.

WayneDsr

Re: Ooma doesn't work well

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:33 am

Forgive me if you already went through this, but have you tried connecting ooma behind the router, as you would a pc?
Oooma doesn't control QOS if you connect it this way.

Wayne

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:55 am

Everything was fine at the end of this thread http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?t=2889, but now it's not?

dietz

Post by dietz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 am

By using the built in MAC address, I was able to fix the "losing the network" problem. The clear calls only lasted for the first couple of calls. I reviewed the forums and tried everything that I could find, then posted the problem in the Call Quality forum - no answers. I kept trying CS, but wasn't able to fix the problem. I did just receive a call from a third tier tech who IS trying to help me. We've duplicated the call problems. He was going to get with others to review the problem, and get back with me.
I'm always up for trying to make this work, but yes, I put the ooma hub behind the router (made no difference) - I still can't clearly hear the other end on about 50% of calls.
I suspect that I'll be told that it's a comcast cable problem, and I would buy that - except for the fact that vonage works just fine.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 am

dietz wrote:I did just receive a call from a third tier tech who IS trying to help me. We've duplicated the call problems. He was going to get with others to review the problem, and get back with me.
I'm always up for trying to make this work, but yes, I put the ooma hub behind the router (made no difference) - I still can't clearly hear the other end on about 50% of calls.
Hopefully the third tier tech will be able to help you. Perhaps something to do with call routing in your area. Let us know how it turns out.

dietz

Post by dietz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:41 am

Groundhound, you appear to be on the right path -
Do you have any understanding about the call routing in local areas? It appears that all of my problems with call quality are only on outgoing local calls (problem with about 50%-75% of local calls). Calls to cell phones or long distance appear to be unaffected. I've been dealing with a third tier tech, and I'm not sure that this is something that he fully understands or that he is going to be able to fix.
Any ideas?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:47 am

dietz wrote:Groundhound, you appear to be on the right path -
Do you have any understanding about the call routing in local areas? It appears that all of my problems with call quality are only on outgoing local calls (problem with about 50%-75% of local calls). Calls to cell phones or long distance appear to be unaffected. I've been dealing with a third tier tech, and I'm not sure that this is something that he fully understands or that he is going to be able to fix.
Any ideas?
Unfortunately, routing issues must be handled from Ooma's end, if that indeed turns out to be the problem. I'm surprised that a third tier tech would not understand the issue.