Ooma Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
chuenl
Re: Ooma Telo

Post by chuenl » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:47 am

Well, I was naive to believe that the Telo was going to be released in the first half of 2009, so I continued to stay with the phone service for too many months. After a while, I realized that they were not true to their marketing words, so I just bought the current hub and gone with whatever they have.

For any more of the promised release dates, take it with a grain of salt!
Last edited by chuenl on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 am

I would rather see the Telo released to the public late and working than a Telo on time and full of bugs. Obviously there must be some issues.

Wayne

tobey717

Post by tobey717 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Is it true the Telso will have Bluetooth functionality for your cell phone? I would so love that as my AT&T cordless setup is starting to go out I would much rather spend the money on this then another cordless phone set..

also, about the ring tones. If the technology is there I see another great way for Ooma to make some money. I don't mind paying my cell carrier 1.99 a song why not offer that and keep making money without giving us a phone bill ;)

daet

Post by daet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:26 pm

tobey717 wrote:Is it true the Telso will have Bluetooth functionality for your cell phone? I would so love that as my AT&T cordless setup is starting to go out I would much rather spend the money on this then another cordless phone set..
I haven't heard that, but I have read that the Telo will support DECT 6.0 handsets - I think up to six such handsets.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

homli

Post by homli » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Ooma's press release announcing the Telo (Jan '09) suggested:
New, with ooma Telo, is a powerful cordless handset featuring DECT 6.0 technology, High-Definition voice, connected phonebook, mobile transfer, speaker phone, and musical ring tones. Customers can expand to six handsets, enough for each room in the house.

“Simply put, Telo sounds better, connects better and works better than any traditional phone or VoIP service available today,” said Rich Buchanan, Chief Marketing Officer at ooma. “Telo represents the necessary evolution of communication in the home and helps combine the home phone and cell phone so you can enjoy the benefits of both without any compromises.”

https://www.ooma.com/company/pressrelea ... =010709_01
I assume "connected phonebook" and "mobile transfer" is (or was?) the purpose of Bluetooth, though I'll be super excited if Telo also supports using Bluetooth headsets with Telo handsets.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:57 pm

homli wrote:Ooma's press release announcing the Telo (Jan '09) suggested:

I assume "connected phonebook" and "mobile transfer" is (or was?) the purpose of Bluetooth, though I'll be super excited if Telo also supports using Bluetooth headsets with Telo handsets.

I dont think bluetooth as I see Google Voice integration. In google Voice. My WM cell phone has the exchange server set to google, and my contacts populate with numbers automatically. I thought google voice could transfer from one line to another, so thats where Id get the mobile transfer.

I personally dont see bluetooth for anything other than a peer to peer ad hoc conectivity or headphones

Big Boy Laroux

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Found some new hands-on pictures of the telo here:

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/o ... ober-2009/

Looks pretty slick.

The quick review also seems to indicate that there will not be any hub+handset bundles right out of the gate.

I was thinking of waiting until the telo came out to get ooma (finally bought one last week), but am glad I went ahead and bought the regular hub. I wanted to jump on the savings bandwagon (over Vonage) as soon as possible and I already have a set of good DECT 6.0 phones (and it would take something like bluetooth compatibility to get me to upgrade them, which sounds like it was left out of the first incarnation of telo)

The telo looks like a great product, but I wonder what the price will be, especially if there won't be any bundles (if the review linked above is true).

Kevin1844

Post by Kevin1844 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:57 am

I just saw an ooma at on gizmodo.com featuring Telo in place of the standard hub. At least SOMETHING is happening! Of course, when you click on it it just brings you to the regular ooma page so...

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 am

The Telo Quick Start Guide is online: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/form ... or_pdf=pdf.

The HD handset manual is available, too: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/form ... or_pdf=pdf

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 am

Wow - good find bluechalk!