How are landline messages taken?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
gadgetnut
How are landline messages taken?

Post by gadgetnut » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:12 pm

If you keep your conventional landline telephone line, are unanswered calls made to that landline number handled via the same Broadband Answering Machine as calls placed to the ooma line?

AngelaKendig

Re: How are landline messages taken?

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Si, if your land line is connected to the Ooma hub. You can set the answer delay to the maximum in the lounge and configure your own answering machine to pick up at some point before the delay you set but with all the features of Ooma's VM, why would you want to do that...
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

gadgetnut

Re: How are landline messages taken?

Post by gadgetnut » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:39 pm

I need to keep a traditional telephone line in order to maintain a computer server and a VOiP phone line won't work for that purpose.

I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, I guess. I want all the good ooma features on calls received to that number. The single traditional phone line I now have is the "familiar number" that all my friends and family call (and during my first week's trial with ooma I've call forwarded all calls to my ooma number to see what it feels like and I like it.)

I guess I should port that "familiar phone number" to be my ooma number and get another, nondescript phone number for computer use. Just trying to figure out what I need. Thanks.