Help with Ooma and Router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
scottlindner
Re: Help with Ooma and Router

Post by scottlindner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm

I'm really confused. Let me mull this one over for a while.

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Do you think the problem lies within the setup of Ooma (Like the Ooma Setup Page and all the different ip addresses under Home Port, DHCP, and DMZ)? The weird thing is that I was able to access 192.168.11.1 before we activated the Ooma service (it was already installed but not activated), but now I can't connect to that page.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:42 pm

The ipconfig results you posted earlier look as though your computer was connected to the hub's home port instead of one of your router's LAN ports. Are you absolutely sure about what your computer is connected to?

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Groundhound wrote:The ipconfig results you posted earlier look as though your computer was connected to the hub's home port instead of one of your router's LAN ports. Are you absolutely sure about what your computer is connected to?
I am not sure what you are talking about, so please tell me how to check what my "computer is connected to".

EDIT: I think I know what you are talking about now. I just checked the cables, and the Home port of the Ooma hub is connected to the WAN port of the router (Buffalo WHR-G54S). The back of the router has these ports from top to bottom: 1, 2, 3, 4, WAN. DC-in. Currently the Home port of the Ooma hub is connected to the Port that says WAN.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:52 pm

How is your computer, the one you're on now, connected? Is there an Ethernet cable and if so, what does the other end plug into?

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:55 pm

...I am not sure what you are talking about, so please tell me how to check what my "computer is connected to...
Your IP adresses are comfusing everyone

List your configuration

such as ISP Modem --> router-->ooma
l
lcomputers

or

ISP Modem -->ooma--router-computers
Last edited by niknak on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Groundhound wrote:How is your computer, the one you're on now, connected? Is there an Ethernet cable and if so, what does the other end plug into?
There is an ethernet cable running from the back of my computer to the wall.

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm

niknak wrote:
...I am not sure what you are talking about, so please tell me how to check what my "computer is connected to...
Your IP adresses are comfusing everyone

List your configuration

such as ISP Modem --> router-->ooma
l
lcomputers

or

ISP Modem -->ooma--router-computers
In my first post I said: Modem>Ooma>Router>Computers

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 pm

...there is an ethernet cable running from the back of my computer to the wall...
where does the wall jack connect to?

leejoh2

Post by leejoh2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:10 pm

I just noticed something that may be important. So far I've been saying that the modem connects to Ooma connects to WAN port in router. Then it gets a little tricky. There are 4 ports on my router (labeled 1-4 and then the WAN port under that). Port 1 is empty. Port 2 connects to nowhere (i usually use it for internet access to my laptop). Port 3 connects to a port called WAN, which is on a little box called "Phone Power!" (which is the name of a company). The "Phone Power!" box has another port that says "Line 1" and that connects to a wall. Currently I have 2 telephone lines. Only one of them is Ooma. Port 4 on the router connects to a box called "D-Link Gigabit Switch" (this has every ethernet cord connected to it).