New user, couple of questions

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
darag2358
New user, couple of questions

Post by darag2358 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:22 am

Just installed everything last night. Went without a hitch, except that I needed to run a phone line near my router and modem. No problem. I get the ooma dialtone.

I am porting my existing landline and I am temporarily connecting ooma to my landline, as opposed to having a temporary number. My current landline has very basic service - no voicemail, no call waiting, nothing. I tried testing the call waiting by placing an outgoing call, while also placing an incoming call from my cell phone. I just got a busy signal. Is that because I'm hooked in to my current landline and I can expect that until I cut service?

The sound quality seemed good, from what little I experienced it last night. I can't tell the differenceBut now I'm also wondering if this is hooked through my landline, do the calls get routed over the landline and am I going to see a difference once my landline service is disconnected?

murphy

Re: New user, couple of questions

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:30 am

All local outbound calls go through the land line in that configuration. All incoming calls come from the land line. Only long distance calls go over the ooma network. You would get a much better test of the ooma service if you hadn't integrated your land line and had picked a temporary number. You can still do that by calling support and asking them to configure the unit to work without a land line. The only time configuring with a land line makes sense is if you intend to keep the land line permanently.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 am

murphy wrote: You can still do that by calling support and asking them to configure the unit to work without a land line.
...and in fact NEED to have Ooma reconfigure either now or once your landline goes dead, otherwise you may have problems with your Ooma device. If it is configured WITH a landline it needs to be UN-configured by Ooma when the landline is disconnected.

darag2358

Post by darag2358 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks. I called support and got a temp number. The quality is still good, I'm glad to report. At least so far. On my side I don't really hear much of a difference. For the person I'm talking to, it's just a little noticeable but very acceptable.

inrame

Post by inrame » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

darag2358 wrote:For the person I'm talking to, it's just a little noticeable but very acceptable.
maybe you still need some "tweaking" if there are some noticeable affects. take a look through the "Call Quality" forum for some ideas. make sure you have the QOS set properly on the Telo and, if you have the Telo connected after the router, make sure the QOS settings on the router are set to give high priority over the phone traffic.